Has Anyone Every Found Any Treasure At The Bottom Of An Old Well?

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found an old house foundation out in the woods, with what appears to be 3 empty hand dug wells. The wells are about 8 feet deep, and walled with stone. I believe the house could date from the late 1800's or later. I am well aware of the danger of going down to the bottom, and have thought twice about it, but I am still curious what is down there. Has anyone has ever metal detected the bottom of a well?
magnet fishing

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No... but i looked for several wells in a closed military base (1947) that upon closing tons of new items were thrown in each well then bulldozed in.

As far as i know... no one has ever found them.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok this thread concerns me A lot !!! I do not want to see or hear about anyone getting sick or dying in a well/. Please do this go get professional device. Go to a fire Department rescue squad and ASK THERE ADVICE!!! I lost a friend in a corn silo bin. he was over came by gasses.
Some other options I bought a underwater camera that came with a monitor for around $100 I used this in trying to find a lost shotgun.(no luck) Also if you have a Deus you can tape the coil to a pole and extend the the underwater coil attachment kit and you can scan the bottom from above.

PLEASE ASK A RESCUE SQUAD ABOUT YOUR OPTIONS !!!

Carbon dioxide causes deaths in unused wells”​

B. Kolappan
CHENNAI, April 25, 2013 02:25 IST
Updated: April 25, 2013 02:25 IST
  • Share Article
  • PRINT
  • A A A

Deaths that occur when workers enter unused wells or tanks to clean them are not due to poisonous gases, as is widely believed, but because of carbon dioxide which is present at the bottom, says forensic expert P. Chandrasekaran.
Such deaths can be avoided by adopting simple measures like agitating the wells before entering them.
On Monday, two workers died of asphyxiation when the entered a tank in the city to clean it.
“Deaths in unused wells are common during summer. The failure to take simple precautionary measures is the cause for these deaths,” said Mr Chandrasekaran, a former director of the Forensic Sciences Department. He has several breakthroughs to his credit in his career, including the reconstruction of the belt bomb used by the suicide bomber in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.

Mr Chandrasekaran told The Hindu that he had investigated many deaths in wells and the culprit was not poisonous gases, but carbon dioxide, whose presence depleted oxygen and eventually caused asphyxiation.

“Organic materials deposit at the bottom of unused wells. Whey they start decaying, they release carbon monoxide. It is converted into carbon dioxide after it reacts with oxygen. Since carbon dioxide has high density, it stays at the bottom and inner layers of the wells and tanks and replaces the oxygen present there. When a worker enters the well to clean it, he dies only because there is no oxygen at the bottom,” he explained.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have always wanted to drop one of my magnets down some of the old wells i know of but not yet :(

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nope, had a 200 year old cistern on the property that was at least 20 feet deep. There was nothing of value at bottom. I don't know why people always think there's treasure in wells, or caves etc. Many times there is a whole bunch of nothing. And as others have pointed out - they can be dangerous with toxic gases. If you don't believe that - well keep reading.

Back in 60's, I was just a kid and hanging out with my older brother and a couple of his buddies. They went down into the woods and found an old abandoned well pit that was pretty deep. Well they got the brilliant idea to pour some oil paint on a branch, light it creating a torch, and then drop it down this well to see what was down there. We all were close to opening to watch the torch hit bottom. AS the torch was dropping down that pit, something told me to step back and I did. Boom there was a explosion and liquid flew up into the other's faces. I'll assume it was methane gas. They all ran to the nearby creek to wash off their skin and flush their eyes. A day later and I kid you not, there was still light smoke coming out of that well. That's when I learned how dangerous wells can be. A day without a memory is gone forever.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nope, had a 200 year old cistern on the property that was at least 20 feet deep. There was nothing of value at bottom. I don't know why people always think there's treasure in wells, or caves etc. Many times there is a whole bunch of nothing. And as others have pointed out - they can be dangerous with toxic gases. If you don't believe that - well keep reading.

Back in 60's, I was just a kid and hanging out with my older brother and a couple of his buddies. They went down into the woods and found an old abandoned well pit that was pretty deep. Well they got the brilliant idea to pour some oil paint on a branch, light it creating a torch, and then drop it down this well to see what was down there. We all were close to opening to watch the torch hit bottom. AS the torch was dropping down that pit, something told me to step back and I did. Boom there was a explosion and liquid flew up into the other's faces. I'll assume it was methane gas. They all ran to the nearby creek to wash off their skin and flush their eyes. A day later and I kid you not, there was still light smoke coming out of that well. That's when I learned how dangerous wells can be. A day without a memory is gone forever.
Ocen7 GREAT story thanks for sharing. People HAVE NO IDEA what gasses linger in different types of containers and in old mines as well
FORR GOSH SAKES everyone STAY SAFE !1

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This MIGHT appear gross at first, but I know bottle hunters & Metal dectector hobbist that search for OLD OUT HOUSES hundred plus years old . They find some pretty remarkable things in those HOLES. After a few decades those out houses turn the filth into regular soil with NO odors. The "stigma" of doing this does seem gross but theres nothing to worry about...... IF THEY ARE OLD! I watched folks around Mogollon, N.M. doing this and they had found some incredible bottles & COINS inside a few of them. The bottles were almost ALL unbroken and well over 100 years OLD

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can remember treasure hunters, finding large cent caches, near old wells under a foundation stone. Old foundations can have iron junk, but dig all targets.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This MIGHT appear gross at first, but I know bottle hunters & Metal dectector hobbist that search for OLD OUT HOUSES hundred plus years old . They find some pretty remarkable things in those HOLES. After a few decades those out houses turn the filth into regular soil with NO odors. The "stigma" of doing this does seem gross but theres nothing to worry about...... IF THEY ARE OLD! I watched folks around Mogollon, N.M. doing this and they had found some incredible bottles & COINS inside a few of them. The bottles were almost ALL unbroken and well over 100 years OLD
Yepper, you are correct. Great place to look and some good finds have been found there. Also in Civil War Latrine areas.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Riverbum GREAT POST !!!

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I live it was common practice to hide things in a well. It was mostly done to hide things from those pesky American pirates who came over during the war of 1812. I do know of one guy who while cleaning his well in a house he bought found jars of coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions