Has Anyone Every Found Any Treasure At The Bottom Of An Old Well?

K

Kentucky Kache

TheHarleyMan2 said:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned about wells, it is good idea to get a good respirator when going down into one, as mold will most likely be present and can cause some serious health issues!

I did mention gasses. Sort of a hint for using a respirator. I helped pull two dead men out of a well one time, so, for what it's worth...

soopacee

Apr 27, 2008
Pottsville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Nel Tornando,
Garrett Carrot PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache Crazy said:
TheHarleyMan2 said:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned about wells, it is good idea to get a good respirator when going down into one, as mold will most likely be present and can cause some serious health issues!

I did mention gasses. Sort of a hint for using a respirator. I helped pull two dead men out of a well one time, so, for what it's worth...

hmm pulling dead people outta wells.........is that a hobby or job? :icon_scratch:

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
8' seems awful shallow to me for a well. Hypothetical situation...some sticks, something or another gets thrown into the well that starts to accumulate leaves and debris. So it could appear to be 8' deep and have 20' of water under a false bottom. Go careful!

T

trish76642

Maybe I can borrow that rope rig from Mission Impossible and lower myself down.

that seems like the safest thing to do. I'd be afraid if you didnt do it that way the walls would collaspe.
Be careful.

If you want to see whats in the well,you can also tye a string to the end of a flah light. Before you plan on exploring.

priscilla

thats a good idea, get a 15 million candle power spot light.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieGold said:
8' seems awful shallow to me for a well. Hypothetical situation...some sticks, something or another gets thrown into the well that starts to accumulate leaves and debris. So it could appear to be 8' deep and have 20' of water under a false bottom. Go careful!

I was thinking the same thing. I know of someone that found a stash of gold coins in an old well.Another story I read was about the things found at Jamestown in a well,an old pistol and someones shoe that was well preserved.I know of a few old wells and was talking to my buddy about cheakin them out and he told me "sure you go down and when ya find the gold please pass up the gold first,then I'll lower ya a rope" lol

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache Crazy said:
TheHarleyMan2 said:

I got the impression that you were talking about methane, etc. Some think mold in not a gas. I just wanted to point out the mold issue.

K

Kentucky Kache

TheHarleyMan2 said:
Cache Crazy said:
TheHarleyMan2 said:

I got the impression that you were talking about methane, etc. Some think mold in not a gas. I just wanted to point out the mold issue.

For those who DO think mold is a gas, say hello for me, would you?

soopacee said:
Cache Crazy said:
TheHarleyMan2 said:

hmm pulling dead people outta wells.........is that a hobby or job? :icon_scratch:

At the time, it was my job. Also at the time, it wasn't a joke. But like I said, for what it's worth.

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieGold said:

Yea Arkie, remember that well we dug up with the backhoe. It had a good 6 feet of quicksand like silt at the bottom. But we did find some things down there. Wish we had had more time to work on it.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think 8ft is a bit shallow for a well too no wonder it went dry :wink:. Heck someone could almost hold your ankles while you look in there. I would have to probe the bottom really good to make sure it was solid before I entered it. I would also make sure to have a good light, waterbottle and mask. Atleast 2 people up top in case one had to go for help one could stay with me. The ladder is a good idea but I would also have a rope attached to myself as well. I hate snakes but don't forget about roaches, spiders, rats, and da bones from all the critters that have fallen down the well before. Kinda gives you the creeps doesn't it.

Let us know the outcome.

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
72cheyenne said:
ArkieGold said:

Yea Arkie, remember that well we dug up with the backhoe. It had a good 6 feet of quicksand like silt at the bottom. But we did find some things down there. Wish we had had more time to work on it.

Yep I remember. And the old well out by the old stage coach stop with the bloated dead animals...

The old well 72cheyenne mentioned was at the site of an old bottle factory in town. Our time was short as the landowners wanted to make it into a parking lot. I went in and he lifted out the bucket as I filled it. There was a ton of junk in that well plus one 1931 license plate. So we was just getting to the good stuff when they said to fill it in, so we did. That was about four years ago and still no parking lot >:(

There's still a couple of old wells out you know where ;D

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it's only 8' or so deep & not to wide, why not lay a good extension ladder across it. Tie yourself off on a vehicle or tree, crawl out on the ladder. Buy a stick or two of electric conduit & a connector. Use that for a probe. use a fan with some dryer vent hose to force fresh air in. If it's solid on the bottom get down there & dig. Eight foot isn't that deep, thought you were talking about something like 20 or 30 feet.

If you don't you'll never ever have a fitful nights sleep. Pictures of jars of money will be dancing through your head ;D

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I have dug the well here to about three feet. It's a rough octagon of brick and it keeps going down.

Around here when a well was run dry they would fill it with debris and dirt. My grandmother remembers filling this one with bottles and then covering it with dirt the rest of the way.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
GL said:
I have dug the well here to about three feet. It's a rough octagon of brick and it keeps going down.

Around here when a well was run dry they would fill it with debris and dirt. My grandmother remembers filling this one with bottles and then covering it with dirt the rest of the way.
That sounds like a winner!

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I have just heard too many times of collapses while digging trenches or tunnels. If you got down there and got to digging and caused it to collapse it wouldn't matter if you had 100 people there with you they couldn't dig you out before you suffocated or were crushed. I don't think I would risk my life for a few coins. If I thought there was a large cache in there I guess I would enlarge it from the top down.

TexasDeere

Jan 20, 2009
Spring, TX
Jordan11983 said:
I'm more worried about the snakes (copperheads and rattlesnakes). I know snakes sort of hibernate during the winter, but can they still bite you?

This was the first thing I thought about. When I look down some of the old wells at old farmhouses, I often see snakes in the water at the bottom. I have also seen then on the little ledges along the sides.

After I thought about it only appearing to be 8 feet, I agree with teh previous poster who mentioned a false bottom. Be sure to tread lightly as it might be much deeper.

dimeaday

Dec 6, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
quattro--EXII--Ace 250
A lot of wells and cisterns were used as garbage pits, when city water became available. I have uncovered several. Did not have the time to explore completely. They looked like a time capsule. Did retrieve several buckets full of intact bottles, broken clay pipes,(3),. A lot of these were located under back porches, very near the rear entrance to a house. I would expect there are 1000's of these unfound or searched..Be careful lot of broken glass..

dragon6banger

Sep 23, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
garrett gtp 1350
ArkieGold said:
i was reading and waiting to see if anyone was gonna mention this it happens way more then you would think..... BE CAREFUL heres something i just tought of most detectors have extra wire to be wrapped around detector shaft unroll this add yourself a 6 FT shaft tie yourself off to a tree lean over said well and detect the bottom and everting should work out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread