What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Hatchet head with diamond shaped eye?

ToastedWheatie

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2013
Messages
534
Reaction score
750
Golden Thread
1
Location
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
800
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What's the purpose / significance of the shape of this eye?
I've never come across this before. Internet search comes up empty, likely because I'm using the wrong search words, lol.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20220102-084625_Gallery.webp
    Screenshot_20220102-084625_Gallery.webp
    101 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot_20220102-084644_Gallery.webp
    Screenshot_20220102-084644_Gallery.webp
    166.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20220102-084618_Gallery.webp
    Screenshot_20220102-084618_Gallery.webp
    186.8 KB · Views: 90
That's interesting. Teardrop shape on one side and widened on the other. Maybe it was modified to use with an extra thick handle where it inserts to prevent splintering the wood. Is there a seam on the butt end (i.e. left side of your pictures)?
 
Upvote 1
It's an older axe made of iron. The diamond shape comes from being used as a wedge and hand hammered with another axe/hammer.
Thanks! That explains it.
I found similar on the cover pic of this book, so I thought it was intentional
 

Attachments

  • received_623497875531415.webp
    received_623497875531415.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 74
  • received_1137851497025184.webp
    received_1137851497025184.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 1
If you compare the thickness of the butt between the first and second pictures, they're about the same, and there doesn't appear to be any signs of hammering on the first versus the second. To cause that much distortion of the eye, I'd think the butt in the first picture would be noticeably mushroomed. Again a side picture of the butt would show this best.
 
Upvote 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom