Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone!

I bought an Ace 250 about 3 years ago as my first detector.
I really enjoy the machine and it was worth every buck in my opinion. Mding is an awesome hobby and I`m really thankful that the Ace 250 helped me get into it.
I had many great hours, found tons of clad, some silver coins and a gold ring once.

I have some spare cash now and am thinking about an upgrade.

Here is what I am looking for:

A detector within my budget 500 Dollars, MAXIMUM 600 Dollars that would still be rather easy to handle but the main thing I am looking for is Target ID improvement.
My experience with the Ace 250 was that it is really reliable and sensitive up to about 8-10 inches and that's great but the target ID was way off many times.

I know this is very complicated and even expensive machines will still have you dig pull tabs if you want rings and stuff but maybe somebody can inform me here.

So basically what I need is a 500-600 Dollar Machine that is better at identifying targets, that would be my main priority, I know In this business there is no gain without digging trash but maybe there is a way to improve that aspect?

I currently live in Taiwan, would be using it for parks and occasionally in the mountains if there is a chance a machine in this price range can find small nuggets in mountain creeks maybe if I`m lucky?

Thank`s all for any advice, and have a splendid day!

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your looking for a waterproof detector for the creeks you can try the AT Gold. You can pick one up from Bart at BigBoyHobbies for close to your price range. There's not really any good small gold machines that are waterproof in that price range though. As far as a reliable VDI at 8-10 inches there really isn't a detector made that will do that. The higher end detectors are better than what you have for sure but your pushing the envelope at that depth.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look at a used Minelab X-Terra 705. They are great machines with a gold prospecting mode.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread