Have To Push Detect Button 2 Times After Noise Cancel

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first 800 was bad out of the box.
One of the many problems it had was, I had to push detect/pinpoint 2 times to make it go back to detect mode after noise cancel.
If I pushed it once, it freezes til I push it again.
Minelab replaced the control head with a new one.
The new one is doing the same thing.
Does anybody else have this problem?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth123 had a problem just recently with one of the push buttons. He has a thread on it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure they didn't accidentally give you the defective control head back. Such an unusual problem, that can't actually be a coincidence.

OP
OP
Deep1

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No V, I don't think so. But it does seem strange that it has happened a second time.
The first control head was really screwed up.
I listed problems in another thread, there were many.
This head is having another problem the other didn't, I went to the beach yesterday and when I laid it down to recover a target it went nuts. It chattered so bad I couldn't hear the pinpointer. Tried noise cancel 20 or 30 times over a 5 hour hunt, never helped. Every time I noise cancel I get a different number. I can stand in one spot and noise cancel 5 times and get 5 different numbers.
Hunted a site in park 1 today and didn't have the chattering problem when I would lay it down.
With first detector, the problems were so intermittent and inconsistent, it had me wondering if it was me or the detector.
When the display started fading after running a few hours, I knew I had a problem.
Called Minelab this afternoon, waiting on callback tomorrow.

OP
OP
Deep1

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth123 had a problem just recently with one of the push buttons. He has a thread on it.

This is a different problem from Truth's.
When I press detect /pinpoint button it beeps, but the screen freezes, if I press a second time it beeps and goes into detect mode.
The button itself is working like it should, it's the rest of the detector that ain't workin.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you have to call them back. I've been fortunate. My nearly 3 year old Deus has never had a problem and it looks like a dog chewed on it, it gets used so much and my 8 year old Tesoro Cibola, which looks like a dog chewed on it and a truck ran over it also hasn't skipped a beat.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had to push the button twice on numerous occasions after noise cancel. For some reason it doesn't take the first time, but it does the second. The pinpoint button seems intermittent sometimes also (rarely), but I can always still get it to work. Something to keep an eye on I suppose, glad we have the warranty coverage. I've seen a number of reports with differing problems with the pinpoint button, so Minelab has to be aware of some these issues.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best to check while they are under warranty.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No V, I don't think so. But it does seem strange that it has happened a second time.
This head is having another problem the other didn't, I went to the beach yesterday and when I laid it down to recover a target it went nuts. It chattered so bad I couldn't hear the pinpointer. Tried noise cancel 20 or 30 times over a 5 hour hunt, never helped. Every time I noise cancel I get a different number. I can stand in one spot and noise cancel 5 times and get 5 different numbers.
Hunted a site in park 1 today and didn't have the chattering problem when I would lay it down.
With first detector, the problems were so intermittent and inconsistent, it had me wondering if it was me or the detector.
When the display started fading after running a few hours, I knew I had a problem.

Video doing noise cancel with my EQX 800.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1WETMt6GiNc

Last edited:

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I’ve been told to be careful laying any detector down in sand. If there’s iron particles in the sand they can enter through the speaker and attach to the speaker magnet. This can ruin a machine.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always had to push the detect button twice to return to the normal mode. If I forget to push it twice, the machine still functions properly it just doesn't display a vdi.

OP
OP
Deep1

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always had to push the detect button twice to return to the normal mode. If I forget to push it twice, the machine still functions properly it just doesn't display a vdi.

How old is your 800?
You might want to call Minelab about that.
My first one started with that as the only problem that I knew of.
Afterwards other more obvious problems developed.
Ended up not connecting to headphones and the display fading after a couple hours use.
At that point Minelab replaced it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carsonchris, I broke that rule so much, it's just plain not funny. I have also buried parts of the machine numerous times, dropped them in the ocean, rained and thunderstormed on, dropped them, sat on them (more than once), but sand, they have had everything done to them but had them deliberately buried. If a detector, any detector, is so fussy it can't be used in real life conditions, including setting it down in sand, it's time to get another machine that has some guts, and I don't care which brand it is.

OP
OP
Deep1

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sent it back to Minelab.
Seems like some of the other same problems as the first one were starting to show up.
Headphone connection problems and chattering when I set it on the ground.
They got it Friday AM, look to hear from them Monday.

OP
OP
Deep1

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Does anybody else have to do this or is it just Dan and I ?

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody else have to do this or is it just Dan and I ?

TN did that in the Video he posted. I have to do that and so does a few other people who I hunt with that own the 800.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to do it too.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read through your complete thread above again in detail. My takes -

The issues you reported on your first machine sounded pretty serious. You were right to get it replaced.

As I look closer at the second machine I can summarize the issues as follows:

The double press to get back to the detect screen from "settings" following a noise cancel. You also described lock-ups and freezes, which does not actually seem to be the case as you can readily get the screen to "unlock" with a second button push. Lock-ups typically mean the screen is unresponsive to any button pushes and are cause for concern, so use of the terms "freeze" or "lock-up" may be overstating the actual "issue". I now know how to make the double press issue repeat. See below.

Chatter when you lay the machine on the ground during target recovery (this can be "expected" during certain circumstances - I will explain).

Multiple Noise cancel attempts resulting in different channel numbers on back-to-back attempts - again this can be explained and is not unexpected.

First of all - I will say that it is hard to diagnose your issues merely by reading words - multiple interpretations of terminology can lead to false conclusions by those of us who can't see what is really happening first hand. I may be totally off base because all I can go by is your description of the issues. That being said, I will continue with my thoughts.

You stated that ML repair only replaced the control head. Why did ML think only the control head was the issue? What you may be experiencing with your first unit (and possibly the second and third) is some sort of control head damage caused by the coil. Unlikely, but possible. Swapping coils after you have experienced the issue may not be conclusive because after the coil causes the damage, it may look like the problem is independent of the coil because the damage to the control head has already been done. Make sure ML repair has an airtight case for not replacing your whole detector, coil included.

Assuming your coil is not the issue - the issue you are describing about multiple button presses appears to be somewhat normal behavior. I will say that I normally exit the settings menu by pushing on the detect mode select push button rather than the detect/pinpoint toggle button. The manual allows for either. I prefer not to unnecessarily cycle the detect/pinpoint button because it is probably the most used button on the detector and is probably most subject to wearing out over the detector life time, I suppose. Regardless, I figured out how to get the behavior you describe to repeatedly happen and I know how to make it not happen.

When you do a noise cancel - you will see the progress bar fill up the outer circle of the display that shows the discrimination pattern and graphic vdi. If you try to go back into detect mode while that progress bar is still showing, then you will have to press the button again to get back to the normal screen. If, however, you allow that progress bar to disappear which it does on its own a few seconds after completing the noise cancel, then you can go right back into detect mode on single button press. This is apparently normal behavior. Try it yourself and see. I also realized after doing this, that I usually go right into doing an auto ground balance after the noise cancel and the machine does the same thing when pressing the settings toggle to go to the next setting adjusment (ground balance is after noise cancel). As long as the noise cancel progress bar is showing, then I have to press the settings toggle button twice. If I just wait a sec and let the bargraph disappear, then I only have to press the settings button once to advance to ground balance. Bottom Line - Just wait a second and let the noise cancel bargraph disappear and you can save yourself an extra button push.

Chattiness when setting the machine down. If you set the machine down, it is best to set it down such that the bottom of the coil is face down on the ground rather than tilted on its side and or back with the bottom of the coil facing up into the open air. It then acts like a radio antenna and can more easily pick up interference. The other thing that can happen is if you are wearing a cell phone, and you set the detector down for target recovery, then if your cell phone gets near the control head then you can also cause EMI from the phone being picked up by the control head (not the coil). So keep your cell phone away from the control head or shielded from the control head by your body (by keeping it in a pocket or pouch away from the detector swing arm side). HTH. Don't repeatedly noise cancel to make this chattiness go away. Only noise cancel if you are getting chattiness while you are swinging the detector (even though you do the noise cancel with coil stationary).

Why do you get different noise cancel channel numbers when you do repeated noise cancels? First of all, noise cancel is not really a foolproof and powerful tool. You should use it, but don't expect miracles as far as noise cancellation is concerned. Super noisy sites might require more drastic action than noise cancel such as reducing sensitivity and even going to single frequency. As far as the different numbers are concerned, that is not unexpected. Noise cancel chooses what it thinks is the quietest of 19 different channels from -9 to +9 (0 is included). If there is not a lot noise, chances are that more than one channel may be quiet. In that case, noise cancel will probably randomly pick any one of the several quietest channels and if you run the noise cancel again, it will pick another quiet channel. This doesn't mean noise cancel is randomly guessing, it just means that there are several equivalently viable quiet channels to choose from. On the other hand, you may encounter a really bad EMI site where none of the 19 channels are really quiet and in that case you need to take the additional, less ideal measures I described above (lower sensitivity, go to a single frequency - higher single operating frequencies like 15, 20, and 40 khz tend to be quieter but they also affect depth because higher frequencies do not penetrate into the ground as much as lower frequencies - no free lunches - detecting is all about tradeoffs).

So what you are describing appears to primarily be expected behavior. If you are having extreme lockups or constantly random, worsening noise or erratic screen behavior, then, yes, you should send it back again, unfortunately.

HTH

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said Vferrari, I always like reading your responses and always impressed with your responses....Thank you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread