Have you ever encountered shady people while hunting alone?

Dutch

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2009
Chico CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett ACE 250, Automax V4
I was wondering how many of you have encountered a freaky or shady character while out detecting by yourself.
I have not yet, since I just recently started, but it's always on my mind when I go away from civilization.
For this reason I will carry a gun with me outside of town, and a mace gun if I am in town. Paranoid, maybe, but you know the saying,
Better have it and not need it...
Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone has a good story here about this topic.

Sam

Upvote 0

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Last summer I was detecting at a park thats on the edge of the shady part of town. I always leave one side of my headphones a little off the ear so I can hear whats going on around me. This guy walks up and starts talking about off the wall stuff (not about MDing as I would have expected, thats fairly normal) and he has a large screwdriver, almost like a pry bar, with him. I try not to judge by looks alone but I got a wierd feeling from him. I was respectful and chatted for about 10-15 mins with him then he went off to a nearby bench and I continued detecting but kept an eye his way. After a few minutes I realized that he was following me, so I pretended to adjust my headphones and I slid it a bit more off the ear to hear better. I pretended to adjust my MD but really shut it off then continued to look like I was MDing, spent about 10 minutes doing this as I made my way back to the truck, started complaining to myself "darn, there's nothing here", got in truck and left, this way I was able to vacate the area and avoid anything that might have taken place. Better safe than sorry. I wasn't fearful or afraid by any means but my list of "stupid stuff" was pretty good and I didn't want to add to it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony66 said:
Last summer I was detecting at a park thats on the edge of the shady part of town. I always leave one side of my headphones a little off the ear so I can hear whats going on around me. This guy walks up and starts talking about off the wall stuff (not about MDing as I would have expected, thats fairly normal) and he has a large screwdriver, almost like a pry bar, with him. I try not to judge by looks alone but I got a wierd feeling from him. I was respectful and chatted for about 10-15 mins with him then he went off to a nearby bench and I continued detecting but kept an eye his way. After a few minutes I realized that he was following me, so I pretended to adjust my headphones and I slid it a bit more off the ear to hear better. I pretended to adjust my MD but really shut it off then continued to look like I was MDing, spent about 10 minutes doing this as I made my way back to the truck, started complaining to myself "darn, there's nothing here", got in truck and left, this way I was able to vacate the area and avoid anything that might have taken place. Better safe than sorry. I wasn't fearful or afraid by any means but my list of "stupid stuff" was pretty good and I didn't want to add to it.

I Would have Laughed as I Pointed
to the Screwdriver & Said Hey
You can't drink that One :tongue3:

Put him at ease.
in case he was carrying it as protection :D

Pitch

Jul 27, 2003
I have had the hoodrats watch me but never had a problem. It feels weird but a buddy of mine has a real good solution that I have tried and it works. Put a yellow light on your vehicle an orange cone in back of it and wear a hardhat and orange vest. They think you are an utility locater and it is like you are invisible.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Hmmm and I was thinking of getting s small .22 revolver but now I think I might get something bigger and get a permit to carry

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I never see shady people while detecting. They seem to be standing on street corners with signs in their hands or running between cars in parking lots bumming around.

If they ask questions, I just tell them to meet me at the (----) bank on the next block in ten minutes an then speed walk the other direct like I have other things to do

Sand-duner

Nov 24, 2009
Sequim, WA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
archer48 said:
Hey Sand-duner.....sounds like you work in the part of town they used to call Zone 3....Fairfax...Myrtle Ave and 21st St....down in the 09 zip code.....I've been working down there for years. Seen alot of stuff "in the hood"....you ride down in them parts and even on a sunny day it gets dark.......evil is on every corner. If you work a day down there and don't hear a gun shot or two you feel like the day is not complete. I do pest control for the State of Florida for elderly people...went to a house one day and this big brother came to the door and said, "What you want?".....told him I was here to spray his grammas house and he says, "Come on in". Got to the back porch and the whole neighborhood was leaned back in chairs smokin crack and drinking...the bid dude steps in the doorway and tells them to get out that I was here to spray his grammas house....they did not move....he told them one more time with no response...he reached around the corner and picked up a baseball bat and went to swinging......they like to tore the screen door down baling off the back porch...it was hilarious.....................Came back a month later the guy opens the door with a big smile on his face and tells me to come on in and then proceeds to tell me how proud his gramma is not having to fight them roaches anymore. I sprayed inside and opened the back porch door and stood in the doorway.......they looked at me about 1.75 seconds and jumped up and ran out the like they were on fire. It was like I was JSO coming to get them.

Evergreen Ave and MLK Dr. It does get rather uncomfortable around there if we have to work past dark. But sometimes during the day it's bad as well. Mostly they ask for change in front of the store and don't mess with us too bad though. They know we all carry arms, so they usually keep their distance.

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are making me glad I live in Illinois. One of only two states out of our 50 that are so safe they don't allow the law abiding citizens to carry guns. Whether I am out in the city or down in the boondocks doesn't matter because I know that no matter who I run into they won't be carry a gun because that would be illegal.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
limegoldconvertible68 said:
You guys are making me glad I live in Illinois. One of only two states out of our 50 that are so safe they don't allow the law abiding citizens to carry guns. Whether I am out in the city or down in the boondocks doesn't matter because I know that no matter who I run into they won't be carry a gun because that would be illegal.

:sign10:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
GrayCloud said:
Jeff, you must hunt with a large pack to be so secure.

No I just Don't have any fear.

Has to do with how I Was brought up
and where I Live.

Yes I am aware Not all areas are the same,
But what is burned into my Brain
from Expierence is "it can't happen to me"

Yeah, ummm I know you are a Mod on this site and probably a well respected one but that's just nuts. ::)

Sorry just my opinion.
I do wish the best for you though.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
LGC, Now that was a good one, I don't care who you are. :laughing7:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I pulled my .45 ACP Colt out and jacked a round in where they could see and hear it. I heard them say something about one of them's mother and they veered off and went over behind an elevator shaft. Monty

There's no gainsaying the ability to do that.

I even carry in the woods. You never know, and I don't mind the 4 extra pounds of my Redhawk.

Can't do it concealed, though. Too bad.

Sand-duner

Nov 24, 2009
Sequim, WA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
limegoldconvertible68 said:

Yes, however, if someone has the balls and the will to rob you, I'm thinking they really don't care too much about the law. So I will continue to carry my gun no matter what. As the saying goes... "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Just take a look at England's deadly weapon crime rate after they outlawed guns. First year, it went up like 600 some odd %. Criminals will always get guns, and if they know that law abiding citizens don't have them, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Sand-duner, you and LGC are on the same page on this subject. Read between the lines. That old boy was just pokin fun at the gun law. :thumbsup:

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
Day time hunting I have never worried about other people they have just as much right to be where they are as I do.
I'm more than willing to chat with anyone passing for a few minutes.
Who am I to judge. :thumbsup:

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.

Sand-duner

Nov 24, 2009
Sequim, WA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GrayCloud said:
Sand-duner, you and LGC are on the same page on this subject. Read between the lines. That old boy was just pokin fun at the gun law. :thumbsup:

I noticed that after I posted. As soon as I thought about it, I got the feeling that nobody could be that thick... :BangHead:

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
People are getting jumpy these days even in areas I would not have thought about. I live in a very rural area, as some of you know. Normally if you see someone broken down on the side of the road, you'll be rescued and home in an hour, probably with 3 or 4 mechanics recommended, if not already involved.

Last week, our constable went to his son's place (out in the country) and encountered some engine problems on his way back to our little burg. Soooo, he pulled into a local's driveway (whom he knows well), pulled to the back of the property, got out, opened his truck's lid, and began to examine what could be the matter. He didn't approach the house because it was dark. Nobody home, situation.

Next thing he knew, three trucks pull in to confront him. (Good security systems here in the country.) Then the homeowner comes out with his shotgun. Confrontations occur. When the constable begins to unload his weapons to his relatives' trucks, who had by that time shown up, everybody backs off. Truck was left in the yard, everybody went home, and all was forgiven.

Point is: everybody is edgy, even small town folks. I even lock my truck doors driving through some neighborhoods. I encounter shady people everyday, and I'm not even metal-detecting... just going from one working building to another. Bottom line: If you haven't encountered them yet, you will. Be careful.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dazoff said:
Day time hunting I have never worried about other people they have just as much right to be where they are as I do.
I'm more than willing to chat with anyone passing for a few minutes.
Who am I to judge. :thumbsup:

:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions