Headed to the lake today.

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.
I decided to work the sandy beach area with my Explorer II a bit before heading into the water. I wasn't there 10 minutes when a guy approached and I hear those words that perks up my ears & my body fears.

" A friend lost a diamond ring on this end of the beach about 2 months ago so you might find it."

He started to walk away but I stopped him and tried to get his friends info and a brief description of the ring. He said she would be here shortly and he would have her come over. I hoped to get a better description of the ring and where she thought she lost it along with a name and number. If she showed up she never came over. He described it as a med sized ring with a thin band and a diamond.

Once I hear lost ring I will search till I find it or can't swing my coil another swing. Just my luck the cloud cover broke and the sun is beating down making the beach feel more like a desert due to lack of breeze. Go figure, last week the wind was so strong waves where crashing on the beach so hard It was almost impossible to recover targets. Hmm. I was hoping for no wind this time when i left this morning, Doh!! Due to the number of pulltabs on the beach and fact that I knew It was going to getting hot quick I decided set up the Explorer so I had the best chance of finding a ring like he described with the least amount of trash. I carry a few gold rings I have found in my truck for testing so I picked out a thin band Diamond ring and a very small gold ring and set the detector to learn both rings with the large block setting. I tested it on both rings along with the one I found last week and was getting a good solid signal with no problem. I started detecting and was supprised that I had discriminated 90% or better of the pulltabs I was finding earlier. I covered that end of the beach pretty well before I stopped and no ring. Either it was not lost in this area, I missed it, someone eyeballed it or his ideal of a thin band differs quite a bit from mine. There is too many coins and pulltabs there for it to be very likely that another detectorist found it.

I spent the next 3 hours with or so combing that end of the beach with no luck. I was hot and my back was killing me. I had no choice but to switch detectors and head to neck deep water to rest for a while. Of all days to just bring soda's. Not one single bottle of water!! By the time I cooled down and rested up a bit the beach had quite a few people gathering so I decided to hunt the water, but the sun had already sapped all the drive I had for finding gold. I just kinda wondered around enjoying the cool water the rest of the day.
I left telling myself there is no ring on that beach and made plans to go to another lake on Sunday, but I can already feel myself heading back there in the morning for round 2. :-\ Last year I went back to the same area every chance I had for 2 weeks searching for a white gold wedding band before giving up. I went back this year and there's still not even a single pulltab in that area of beach lol. I did manage to find about dollars worth of clad though.

Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ,clads not bad. Good deal!! Persistence will pay off.Keep at it.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Charles, best of luck on round 2. I know it's hard to walk away when you know somethings there and is playing hide and seek. HH

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
I hope you find that ring. It sounds like your on a mission now.

GL & HH,

DugHoles
Upstate NY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread