mrmackin
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Aug 1, 2012
- Messages
- 299
- Reaction score
- 71
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Central Illinois
- Detector(s) used
- Garrett AT Pro
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
- #1
Thread Owner
My wife and I live about two and a half hours from Chicago, and I had been watching the weather for lake Michigan, a couple of weeks ago a storm had passed over the lake on Friday so we decided to go on Saturday and see what our ATpros could find. I was eager to see if all the wave action was going to churn up anything.
When we arrived on the beach, It was still rough and the waves were 2-3 feet high. Just when I was about to go in, the Lifeguards put out the red flag and banned swimming for the rest of the day. I had my waders on and had driven all that time to get to the beach, so I was dissapointed when I couldn't enter the water, truly all dressed up with nowhere to go!
I'm still on a learning curve with my new machine and I don't know a lot about water hunting, but we have found a couple of rings, costume jewelry, and coins in the small lakes around my home area and so we wanted to give a bigger lake a shot.
Anyway, we hunted the beach for hours and hours waiting for the guards to go home, we found a bunch of coins and trash. At one point I was at the waters edge, about ankle deep, and I stared to get a lot of hits, pull tabs, old rusty bottle tops, and coins, I couldn't keep up with them all!. So I ran to get my wife and bring her back to the water. As soon as we were ankle deep and getting hits, a Lifeguard came up and told us we couldn't have any part of our body in the water. We didn't argue and we stepped back onto the shore.
I felt if I could have been in the water about knee to waist deep I would have had a shot at a ring (you never know Chicago Ron and his crew may have missed one!). A couple of hours later, the Lifeguards left and we went in the water - nothing, zero, not even a beep. I pushed it till it was almost dark but I feel like I had missed the boat. It was a long drive home that night

So my question for all you water hunters out there is: does this sound like the way the beaches in Chicago (or any of the Great lakes) usually act in rough weather (waves pushing stuff in) or was this a fluke? Since it's a far drive for us, I want to maximize our chances of finding something to write home about, and I know now to check for wave height forecast before we go so we don't end up "beached" again.
When we arrived on the beach, It was still rough and the waves were 2-3 feet high. Just when I was about to go in, the Lifeguards put out the red flag and banned swimming for the rest of the day. I had my waders on and had driven all that time to get to the beach, so I was dissapointed when I couldn't enter the water, truly all dressed up with nowhere to go!I'm still on a learning curve with my new machine and I don't know a lot about water hunting, but we have found a couple of rings, costume jewelry, and coins in the small lakes around my home area and so we wanted to give a bigger lake a shot.
Anyway, we hunted the beach for hours and hours waiting for the guards to go home, we found a bunch of coins and trash. At one point I was at the waters edge, about ankle deep, and I stared to get a lot of hits, pull tabs, old rusty bottle tops, and coins, I couldn't keep up with them all!. So I ran to get my wife and bring her back to the water. As soon as we were ankle deep and getting hits, a Lifeguard came up and told us we couldn't have any part of our body in the water. We didn't argue and we stepped back onto the shore.
I felt if I could have been in the water about knee to waist deep I would have had a shot at a ring (you never know Chicago Ron and his crew may have missed one!). A couple of hours later, the Lifeguards left and we went in the water - nothing, zero, not even a beep. I pushed it till it was almost dark but I feel like I had missed the boat. It was a long drive home that night


So my question for all you water hunters out there is: does this sound like the way the beaches in Chicago (or any of the Great lakes) usually act in rough weather (waves pushing stuff in) or was this a fluke? Since it's a far drive for us, I want to maximize our chances of finding something to write home about, and I know now to check for wave height forecast before we go so we don't end up "beached" again.








