Hello all need advice on my first vintage padlock in found?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve only started my electrolysis obsession and learned it’s what you do after that the REAL work. I’ve done some old vintage irons and used black shoe polish after steal brushing as best as I could. On this one I used
GEMPLER’S Eco-Friendly RCQ Rust Converter and Primer All-in-One. I like the look it left not just that shoe polish black. Is primer the same as wax? Any advice on getting that brass better? I would love to have that brass “pop” better at least to where it was mid way. Any advice to being a better electrolysist I’m all ears.
Started here IMG_0455.JPG then here IMG_0483.JPG now here IMG_0504.JPG . Thank you to anyone who takes time to give me advice [emoji1317]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jackpot GR! Nice

Thanks Reanm8er. All I know is that George Rex, it’s British and the property I got it from was an Officer in the Battle of New Orleans. I’m hoping he got it as a souvenir. What do you think? 1800-1804?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks great , Cooking relics works very well & the more you do it the better you will get. It's the brushing & picking the rust from tight & hard to get to places that takes 'Me' the most time, I'm WAY behind on cooking my Iron , some need a little bit (for a better ID ) but others like Iron buckles need attention & I have a lock I need to do asap .

It can be a pain but when it's all said and done the pieces usually look pretty dang good ' like your lock '.

If it were mine "I'd" maybe try Brasso Or Brass polish a little at a time on say ? a Q-tip to try to shine the brass up .
I would go slow & get the Q-tip just wet enough to were it would not drip onto the Iron , but that's me.

IMO yr Lock looks great as is .

Continue Carefully.
GD
Davers

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks great , Cooking relics works very well & the more you do it the better you will get. It's the brushing & picking the rust from tight & hard to get to places that takes 'Me' the most time, I'm WAY behind on cooking my Iron , some need a little bit (for a better ID ) but others like Iron buckles need attention & I have a lock I need to do asap .

It can be a pain but when it's all said and done the pieces usually look pretty dang good ' like your lock '.

If it were mine "I'd" maybe try Brasso Or Brass polish a little at a time on say ? a Q-tip to try to shine the brass up .
I would go slow & get the Q-tip just wet enough to were it would not drip onto the Iron , but that's me.

IMO yr Lock looks great as is .

Continue Carefully.
GD
Davers

Davers thanks for taking the time for the great advice.

Army

Sep 3, 2018
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
I have not done metal detecting since 1995 but at that time I had a Fisher underwater metal detector.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Colin Pearson , conservation of marine archaeological objects, it is a great source for electrolyzing And conservation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread