Hello From Natchez, Ms

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. My name is David. I am from Natchez, Ms. Don't know of many guys from my area that Detect, but I sure would like to meet up with one or two to do some Civil war relic hunting. I am itching to get into some Hot zones where we could find lots of relics. If you are close to Natchez, let me know. I am a firefighter and work 24 hours then I am off 48 hours.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, zax. Just saw your other post with the pics of your finds. :thumbsup: Let me say one phrase, "Devil's Punchbowl, just north of town". Have fun, but be careful.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever detected in the punch bowl? Where are you located. I have heard that is a cool place to detect, but i would like to have a buddy to detect with in that place. So if something happens to one of us the other can go for help...I may have to do that one day.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never been to the Punchbowl, but I have done research on it. It is a very rugged depression in the earth several acres in size and is deffinitely NOT a place to go alone. It's located beside the Mississippi River and was used as a hiding place by river pirates, Trace bandits and other no-goods. I believe the Indians stayed away because they were superstitious. The old time river boat pilots reported that their compasses would deflect everytime they pasted that place.

I live about 50 miles away from Natchez and it's been several years since I've been in the area.

When you get the chance, go to the town library and look for books about Natchez in the earlier years. Don't look for books with the word "treasure" in the titles. Get into the history section and read the older books published in the 1950s and OLDER. I found an interesting one written by a black freedman who was a barber in town. I believe the title is The Barber of Natchez. I would think that the Natchez library would have a fantastic local history section.

Be aware that Natchez is the oldest, continuously inhabited place on the Mississippi River system, which means that the possibilities are almost endless for gold coins, jewelry, etc. One last thing. The Under-the-Hill area has been washed away by the Mississippi River so many times through the years, it would probably be a waste of time to do any searching there.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about under the hill. What I was thinking was South of town. There is a sandbar that juts out into the river called the Natchez Island. I used to ride 4 wheelers out there. I can just about bet that there would be artifacts that have washed downstream from Natchez and have been deposited on that sandbar. I hunt all over Natchez. As a teen I have been to the punchbowl, but over the years the vegetation has grown and I am a little foggy on where exactly it is at. I have been looking for GPS coordinates online to try and locate it. That way I can drive right to it. I am interested in hunting it. The other day I dug an old Ice Cream maker and an old tool or plow of somekind off of the River Bank. There are plenty of places to hunt I have been sick the last couple of days and haven't been able to get out like I want to. But Antibiotics and pain meds will hopefully knock this sore throat out in the next couple of days and I can get back out.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year I was doing an on line search for the Devil's Punchbowl and kept getting that stupid place in, I think, Utah. Anyway, I came across a small search engine named Copernic and it found a geocaching website with an entry for the DP north of Natchez. Some cacher put one in the DP and marked it on a map. Anyway, here's the website. http://www.geocaching.com/ There's a site search engine in the upper right corner for state and country. You should find the cache record the archives. Try it.

I do remember that to get to it, you take Cemetery Road north.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
There are detectors in your area. Tensas and I hunt the Natchez area along with Jeff Bryant. Jeff owns the local metal detecting shop (The Peddler). As to the Punch Bowl, several years ago some gold bars were found with a Garrett detector. The finder hand delivered one of the bars to Charles Garrett. I have not been in the bowl but I am game. The best time to hunt will be in the Winter months. If you are interested in bottles, go see Jeff.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Graycloud. I am game to do the punch bowl whenever you guys are available. Shoot all you have to do is call me. I will give you my phone number. I want someone to go detecting with bad. I have a Fisher F75 and a Garrett Ace 250. ANYTIME you guys want to do some detecting. Let me know. Lets gets a few guys together and plan to hunt in the punchbowl. That might be a better hunt in the cooler months when the vegetation dies out.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Will do. Tensas and I will contact you as soon as we line up our next hunt. We are hoping for a good rain, as the ground is dry and hard as concrete at this time. Feel free to private message Tensas and myself with your contact numbers.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You aren't kiddin about the ground being dry. I think Concrete isn't as hard as the ground is right now.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Hey Zax and Beepster, Tensas and I went to the Glade woods for about two hours yesterday. Too dry too hot. Fools never learn, we are thinking about making a loop through Catahoula Parish this weekend. Fools love company. :)

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Cloud what did you guys find this weekend in Catahoula? Me and Dyrty went for a few hours here in Natchez, I dug a '39 wheatie, a '50s and 60's nickel and a 2004 Keelboat nickel not much else. I want to go Civil war relic hunting you have any spots we can go?

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
We did not get to make the big loop as I had to tend to some other business. We did meet up with Jeff Bryant and a friend of his for about two hours this morning in Tensas Parish. Didn't find a whole lot, as it took about an hour and an act of congress to dig a three inch hole. Ground just to dry and hard. Had to drive a screwdriver in the ground with a hammer to start a hole. I found an old button, Jeff said it could have been from 1850 to 1920. Tensas found a nice Indian artifact. This is in an area that some very old coins have been found. We need a serious rain before going back out, or a place to hunt in sand. Have any ideas. ???

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well when the river goes down I have been thinking about Natchez Island. It is a Sandbar south of Natchez in the bend of the river. When the river is low there is alot of sand. Used to be a place to ride 4 wheelers. Way I look at it. Natchez is north of town, Natchez Island is south of town. River runs south so maybe some old stuff could be out there buried in the sand. Just have to find out who owns it now.

bandaid

Greenie
Mar 26, 2009
Hello David, I am a Paramedic from Columbus, Ms and very new to metal detecting. So new in fact I just ordered my first detector. I am comming to Natchez on the 8,9,10th of April for a church fishing trip but I hope to be fishing for coins and relics. I work offshore and will be comming in on the 8th.,any information about the area would be greatly appreciated..Thanks Larry Allen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread