seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out here in Schererville Indiana(northwest indiana)

Hi , I am about 15 minutes over the Illinois/Indiana border or about 20 miles from downtown Chicago. I have been mding about six months now. Started out with a bounty hunter 1-505 ($100 cheapy) but it found coins and I am hooked on this hobby. My son bought me an Ace350 which I am having trouble using, I cannot pinpoint let alone decipher what I am digging or even find it half the time. I see you utilze the Ace350 if you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep been busy for now, trying to get out a little before winter. HH

OP
OP
sheep

sheep

Sep 7, 2012
Owensville In
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, Propointer, minelab musketeer x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seekandfind said:
Hi , I am about 15 minutes over the Illinois/Indiana border or about 20 miles from downtown Chicago. I have been mding about six months now. Started out with a bounty hunter 1-505 ($100 cheapy) but it found coins and I am hooked on this hobby. My son bought me an Ace350 which I am having trouble using, I cannot pinpoint let alone decipher what I am digging or even find it half the time. I see you utilze the Ace350 if you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>

I think this guy made a good video for starting out on the 350. You should check it out. I've only been using mine for a few months now but I'll let you know what helped me learn it. Don't max the sensitivity out, back it off 3 or 4 notches. It will still pick up targets well. Hunt in coin mode for awhile, you won't be all over the place trying to dig a piece of foil or small iron when it's bouncing all over the place on your screen while your learning. (It's frustrating I know) When you get a hit in coin mode it's usually going to be a coin. You will dig bottle caps on silver and tabs when on the nickel signal occasionally but that's just going to happen. Don't swing too fast or too slow. A steady wide inbetween works great. When you get a coin hit, if its good it will signal both ways on the swing. When your over the target shorten you swing until you get the "dinner bell signal" it'll ring like crazy swinging short back and forth swings. Then hold the pinpoint and get your best signal going over the target. When you have the peak signal pull it straight back towards you until the signal drops. As soon as it drops your target will be right at the tip center of your coil. If its shallow it may be just a tad up from the tip and deeper targets may be closer to you under the tip of the coil. Also if pulling back on your pinpoint the signal goes up and down quickly you may be moving over another close target so you can try pinpointing moving the coil forward to get away from the interference. It'll be the same as pulling back, signal drops it'll be right at the cent rear of your coil. I hope anything I said helps, I'm no master mder. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to try an answer. Good luck and HH!

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello the indiana forum is pretty quiet i think most of our fellow hoosiers have there circles of people that they detect with and talk to thats about it so not alot of post in the indiana sections but hello and welcome :icon_thumright:

DeerStalker

May 11, 2012
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I'm in DeKalb County, which is in the north east section of Indiana. Areas I hunt are Auburn, Fort Wayne, and Leo. I do it mostly by myself since the wife has no interest in it.

HH
John

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello dirtfishers, ill bring the greensburg area into the mix. If any r ever down this way lets hook up. Cant seem to get my wife and kids into it. HH

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Sheep, thanks for the video itwill be a big help. I have been busy with a little work came my way, hopefully I can get out a few more times before the snow flies. I hope you had a good year mding, take care and hopefully we can get together next spring or summer and hunt together. HH

jrryrggd1

Nov 1, 2012
Hello everyone, i just began decting this year, with not a lot of success. Lol The great things are, My children enjoy going out with me. We recently searched some woods which are getting ready to be tore down, There we found some old wagon parts and the kids got very excited. So for Christmas I'll probably buy each of them they're own metal detector. Does anyone have any good ideas for around the Westfield area. To go and search in hopes to find some coins or other things like that. I know that would really help them to enjoy detecting even more. Thank you.

hellzpriest

Nov 6, 2012
Hello!!! I never knew anyone detected in indiana. Lol. Nice to see others enjoying this exciting hobby. I started about a year ago. Last christmas. And i love it!!! I havent found any silver or anything to jump about but doesnt mean i wont :) im in the greenwood/franklin indiana area.

Jul 1, 2012
OHIO COUNTY, INDIANA
Detector(s) used
Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I am also A newbie and I am bringing in the Great Ohio River in Ohio County. Just a few cool rocks and some sort of Indian hammer thingy. Getting a detector soon and I can not wait... I hear there is glacier gold in the hills of Indiana! :goldbar: I will share something when I find it. .....if....

Leatherneck2111

Aug 3, 2012
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With this many folks from Indiana we should have a bit more activity in this forum. I'm not new to treasure hunting or metal detecting but am just getting back into it after a 5+ year hiatus. I would be happy to help anyone new to it. I primarily hunt farmsteads, old town sites, and the usual parks, school yards, river banks, etc....

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i usually hunt everyday but always post in the todays find section..maybe i will start posting in the indiana section instead

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too usually just post/read in the today's finds forum but I think I'll start posting here too. I just joined Tnet this year but my brother and I have been detecting since 1990, I use a Fishers 1266-X that I bought in 1990 and live in and detect around Madison down on the Ohio river. I mainly detect homesites but keep a few city parks as backup sites. My brother lives in and detects around the Greensburg area and uses a Teknetics T2.

Bruce52

Dec 6, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350 and Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to MD. Reside in Dubois County. First hunts were on a beach in Gulf Shores, AL. Found mostly tent pegs; in sand? Something about building on a strong foundation comes to mind. A few clad and pennies were recovered as well. Using a Garret Ace 350 and pro-pointer. Interesting site, look like a lot of Hoosier representation.

sollyman

May 26, 2012
aurora, indiana
Detector(s) used
have used garrett at pro,mine lab quattro and 705,tesero tiger shark,currently ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live south east Indiana in dearborn county across the creek from peaches in ohio

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too usually just post/read in the today's finds forum but I think I'll start posting here too. I just joined Tnet this year but my brother and I have been detecting since 1990, I use a Fishers 1266-X that I bought in 1990 and live in and detect around Madison down on the Ohio river. I mainly detect homesites but keep a few city parks as backup sites. My brother lives in and detects around the Greensburg area and uses a Teknetics T2.

Sup Duff? Hey I live in the Greensburg area also and have been really thinkin hard about a T2. Maybe ur bro wood like to hook up sumtimeand do sum huntin. I hunt homesites and fields and wood luv to see a T2 in action.. HH

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody. I'm fairly new to MD'ing. I have used my dad's lower end Bounty Hunter and found a lot of junk. I did find a quarter at a park once but that was my only coin that I discovered. I plan on buying a MD after tax time but wasn't for sure a good one to start out with. I am open to any suggestions if you guys have any to suggest. I am from the Sullivan area and plan on doing most of my hunting within a 20-25 mile radius from there.
Glad to be on board with all of you

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody. I'm fairly new to MD'ing. I have used my dad's lower end Bounty Hunter and found a lot of junk. I did find a quarter at a park once but that was my only coin that I discovered. I plan on buying a MD after tax time but wasn't for sure a good one to start out with. I am open to any suggestions if you guys have any to suggest. I am from the Sullivan area and plan on doing most of my hunting within a 20-25 mile radius from there.
Glad to be on board with all of you

Hello and welcome I would look into garretts ace 250 as a great starter I think just about everyone starts out on it its a great detector good luck H.H.

XDSA40

Oct 27, 2012
IN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bedford Indiana here. I agree about the Ace 250 sonofadigger. My first find was a quarter 8" deep under an old 'climbing' maple tree (low spread-out limbs). I was surprised at the depth of the 250. The Ace will find plenty of stuff and from what I read many experienced md'ers say to dig it all anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions