What's new

Hello

wheatie collector

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 21, 2008
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hello everyone

My name is Matt, Aka Wheatie collector I used to collect coins a long time ago and just started back collecting. what brought me back was I went to the i went to a Wal-mart to buy a headlight when i got my change from buying the headlight i saw something wasn't right in the change so i look at it and it was a 1943 S steel penny well i thought that was cool so later that night i went to burger king and for change i also got a 1942 wheat penny in change. 2 wheat cents in one day wow so i started to look at coin sites and found this site.

and saw people bought a lot of change at banks and go thru them for the good ones.so i decided to try my hand at that so i get 50 dollars and head to the bank. i go up to the lady ask if i can buy 50 dollars in pennies she look at me waited a second and went to the manager as i was standing there the manager came up and said we cant sell you 50 dollars in pennies. well the bank i go to is pretty big its not a small town one so i ask why not?? she say's that this bank only has 50 dollars in pennies and she could sell me 25 dollars. so okay i bought the 25 dollar box and head home bought i did order 50 dollars in pennies. I opened the box and one of the first pennies starring at me was a 1944 wheat cent,

in that box i got 6 Wheaties. 1944, 1951D, 1952S, 1955d, 1958D, 1955D

is that a pretty good haul for just 25 dollars in pennies??
 
Upvote 0
First off, welcome to the site!

Glad to have you!

That certainly isn't a bad haul for a box of pennies. Its always nice getting an S-mint wheatie!

Some boxes will yeild more wheaties than that, but I would say you got an about average box, maybe a little below average from my own experiences with penny boxes, but they will all even out in the end.

Good luck with your future searches, and with those two boxes you ordered.

~Dave
 
is that a pretty good haul for just 25 dollars in pennies??

I wnet through a box yesterday & found 6 wheats. That is about my average
after about 30 boxes so I'd say it's an average haul.
 
I think there's a big variation in what's a "normal" box based on where you live.

For me (in the Houston area) I find that I run across an average of about ~12 wheats per box. That is on the high side of most other people. I've also searched several boxes in the Tulsa area when I'm visiting my parents. Up there my average drops to around 9 wheats a box. I doubt my statistical pool is large enough to draw any firm conclusions, but it does let me suspect.

Congratulations on starting the hobby back up, and welcome to the forum.
 
Thats a decent haul, i used to do lots of pennies before I moved on to nickels and dimes. My highlights were 3 indians, 5 steels, lots of oldies, half a box full of wheats!

HH
-GC
 
In my area, I average 18 wheats/box, no matter which bank I get them from.
 
well got my 50 dollars in pennies today Here are the finds.


1 1937 wheat

1 1945 wheat

2 1946D wheats

2 1948 wheat

1 1950 D wheat

1 1954 D wheat

1 1955D wheat

2 1956D wheat

2 1958D wheat
 
Looks like you are in a 6 per box average area.

Keep waiting for that dream box! Indians or a bum-load of wheats!

~Dave
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom