HELP ABOUT ACE 250

R

ROKAVLON

Hi to everyone. Sorry for my bad English but I'm Greek (and here if you digg, you go to prison) ;D
First day with my new ACE250 and many problems. Too many signals, single or repeatable, strong or not, try with mode, with sensitive, and the result is too many holes with nothing in. What I am doing wrong ? Signal must be repeatable or not? What is the basic point which make you to decide to open a hole ?

Thanks
Nick

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Nick,
Take some coins or objects (Key, ring, etc) and sit down with your detector. Pass the objects over the coil and see how they sound and where they show up on the notches. You will find that most good objects like coins and rings have a very repeatable signal. For the 250, you should start out with a sensitivity of 4 bars. Make sure your cable is not hanging loose and as many do with their 250, tape it securely in a straight line up the shaft for the first 7 or 8 inches. Next I would take some of those objects and bury them a couple of inches into the ground and start going over them while listening to the detector and watching what is going on in the screen. Look up some of my posts and those of others who have written about the 250. It is a good machine. Do some of what I mentioned so that at least you know your machine is working. This will give you the confidence that your machine is capable of finding stuff. nd if stuff is there, you will eventually find it.

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Hi Nick.

Tell you what I do and I'm sure others will bring their experience with this machine (or metal detecting in general). I operate my machine in jewelry mode which takes out iron objects. Then it depends on what you are looking for. If looking for coins, then I dig the repeatable signals that show up as coins. Sometimes an iffy signal will come up and I will dig that also just to see what it was. Sometimes they are rusted nails but sometimes they are old metal buttons.
If you can practice in your yard that would be the first thing to do. Keep the machine in jewelry mode and the sensitivity meter at 4 bars showing. Keep practicing and you will begin to understand what the machine is telling you. When you start digging up those coins then you can see which Greek coin relates to which target id on the Ace 250 and then you will know better on what it is telling you at your location.

Hope this helps and PM me if you need further info.

HH

Funkman

OP
OP
R

ROKAVLON

Thanks a lot. I will study better my machine...

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Nick, here is a few past posts I made that you may find helpful.......

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,72840.msg541894.html#msg541894

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,68046.msg496839.html#msg496839

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,59545.msg424422.html#msg424422

Funkman makes a great point, greek coins are going to appear on different notches than what US or other coins will. It is up to you to find out what notch that will be. Once you know where what appears and how they sound, you will be in a great position.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Nick: Ricardo and Funkman's advice is very good. The Ace 250 is a marvelous detector, but like most any electronics device, it takes time & practice to learn what it is telling you.

Another thing I recommend is to read and re-read your owner's manual every few days. Some of the instructions may not make sense now, but after time spent with the 250, they will make more sense.

Good Luck and welcome to TNET 8)

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
You may be hunting in a very trashy area. If you don't have the sniper coil then I would get it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions