Do they make a detector that does this ??

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
will only detect gold or silver items ? Im not interested in copper pennies or nickels or zinc or even quarters or dimes that are 1965 or newer.

I just want to dig for precious metals like platinum/gold/ silver coins or jewlery, and was wondering if there was a metal detector that did this along with depth, pinpoint features in the $300-$500 price range?

Thanks

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They all will do this. All you need to do is turn up the discrimination so it will only pick up silver which is way up. But then you won't find any gold which is down under a penny. Platinum is even lower so you will have to dig foil to find Platinum.

In other words you will need to dig it all. There is no detector that ONLY finds Gold, Silver and Platinum. If there was one, do you think they'd sell it to us peons?

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
All detectors are called "metal detectors" All will find metal. Sounds like you need a notch detector. That way you can disc out zinc on up. You will still get beeps from zinc on down. A progressive disc machine disc's everything out below your setting. You need just the opposite. All companies make fine machines but you may want to look at the Garrett machines. They would probably be the easiest machine to set up as your wanting.

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
Thanks for replies. I had a back injury and I really was hoping that I wouldnt have to bend over and dig up things like pennies, nickels, quarters ..etc...I thought they made a detector that actually showed a digital image of what was under the ground. So in your opinions, something like the Garrett 250 is gonna have the features that will do what I want because none of the detectors are able to pinpoint just gold/silver/platinum/etc ?

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Rumme,
You are correct. The 250 with the sniper coil set up is feather lite. It has the true notch capability I spoke of. I have a bad back like you and it's not too heavy. I have found it to have a lot of power. I will say that if your looking for gold and jewelry you will be digging a lot of trash. That means hundreds of targets (maybe thousands) where your kneeling down and getting up. You will find mostly pull tabs and wads of foil looking for gold. You may want to dig the coin signals so you'll have battery money. Remember to hunt areas where jewelry can be found. Fresh water beaches, play areas, ball fields are good places to start.

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
I could have swore that I saw a commercial for Whites detector and it said that this certain model showed a image of what the detector had found before you started digging? I want to get into this hobby because I am moving to Arkansas and there is alot of land there to search, but I didnt want to be bending over again and again digging up trash or pennies or dimes...I dont think my back would hold out to well :}

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Rumme, I don't know what your back situation really, so I'm just referring to myself. Start your hunts out spending maybe just a half hour to an hour each outing; then, as your back strengthens, extend your time periods.

I have back problems as well, but with graduated periods of time I actually think it's great back therapy.

Best of Luck ;D

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
well its looking like the Garrett ace 250 is the one to choose but I was curious if anyone has tryed the Titan 2000-3000 models and if they are worth the extra hundred bucks or so compared to the Garret 250 ? ..

The main issue for me would be finding a moderately priced detector that does a good job of telling the user whether the item is junk or worth digging for.... keeping in mind that I dont want to dig for pennies, dimes, quarters, nickels etc that are not silver/gold....I realize that I may have to dig up some junk but I would like a detector that does a good job of telling the user whats gonna generally be junk items and I thought for sure Whites had a commercial for a unit that showed a image of the item the detcetor had found on a digital display . Then again, if this unit costs thousands of dollars, I wouldnt have that kind of money to spend.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you can find a detector that will give you a 100% accurate idea every time. The ID machines, like the MXT, DFX, and XLT are good machines--but they aren't accurate always either. And they are heavier than the Ace 250. A used XLT might be in your price range, though. In order to find a gold ring, you'll have to dig foil and aluminum. No way around it. But being a "selective" digger will greatly reduce the numbers of other great (and VALUABLE) finds you'll make. High grade deep silver coins, old coppers, and valuable relics could pass by unnoticed. If you're only wanting silver (and willing to sacrifice all relics, gold, and platinum), you could probably dig only targets that peg in the 80's on an ID machine like those mentioned above--but keep in mind that a deep silver coin may sound like a penny depending on how it is situated in the soil, etc. So you'd be missing those too.

So basically your decision seems to be this: To metal detect or not to metal detect! They don't make machines that are 100% accurate currently. So you should perhaps either resolve to get yourself in shape for the task ahead (digging LOTS of holes in the ground), or give up the idea entirely. When I started, I had to pay close attention to my posture for swinging a detector. I also had to gradually increase my hunting time over several months so that I could be out for several 8-hour days back to back without pain in my arms, legs, back, or elbows. No one has said much about good posture on this website so far, but it is VERY important. And we always have to monitor it so that we have as little wear and tear on our bodies as possible. Knee pads or back braces seem to help some people. Metal detecting ain't easy! And it's especially not easy to do the type of detecting that it takes to make the good finds! Some things to consider:

1. Research is key! If you have an aversion to hitting the books, looking for old maps, driving around with a GPS system to pinpoint sites, spending hours in libraries, or the like...your finds will not be as good. Unless you get lucky.

2. Time spent out in the field to find old homesites, Civil War campsites, old picnic groves, ferry sites, long-abandoned parks, etc., is rigorous. I have spent countless hours tearing through the brush and woods to find the location of sites. This type of pinpointing--after you have seen all the information that you could find about the site's location--is still considered research (I call it "field research"). All this work is, in fact, still just a prelude to a successful hunt.

3. The actual hunt: Only taking the time to exhaust ALL the good targets will net you the most valuable finds, be they silver, gold, platinum, lead, brass, or copper. And there are extremely valuable items made of each of these metals.

These things in mind, you should consider your decision carefully. Another option I can thin, of for you is one that would net you some nice gold, silver, and platinum items over time, and that is beach hunting. You could use a long-handled sand scoop to get your targets without bending over to recover them. You'd still have to scoop up a lot of foil and pulltabs to get those gold rings, but it would be much easier. So if you live close to the coast, that seems like a more viable venue for you.

Regards,

Buckleboy

I'm exhausted every time I get back from a long day out! But the key is to make sure that I'm good to go and pain-free the next morning.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
That White's commercial is missleading! It says "it shows me what's in the ground before I dig" then it shows an icon of a ring. That's not the actual picture of what's in the ground. They are trying to sell detectors but I don't like that tactic. I'm not saying White's are bad - they are not.
It would be easier for you to move to the beach and use a long handled scoop. That way your in gold and silver territory and there would be less bending over with the scoop. But the sad fact is depending where you hunt - you may dig 500 or more pull tabs before you get a ring. Or you might only have to dig 50. But you will dig them.
Having said this I will again reccomend the Ace 250. Here are the reasons from your answers. 1. light weight. 2.true notch disc. 3. cheap sniper coil. 4. price is right. 5. easily sold if you don't like detecting with only loosing maybe $50.00. There are other features but this is what I think are the main points for you.

DonF

Nov 28, 2006
Brick, NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Whites 5900/DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rumme said:
will only detect gold or silver items ? Im not interested in copper pennies or nickels or zinc or even quarters or dimes that are 1965 or newer.

I just want to dig for precious metals like platinum/gold/ silver coins or jewlery, and was wondering if there was a metal detector that did this along with depth, pinpoint features in the $300-$500 price range?

Thanks

Tough thing to do. You could look around for a used DFX, and the reason I say the DFX, is because you can lay down a clad penny, dime, quarter or nickel and swipe the DFX across the top of each and tell the detector to eliminate that specific VDI number, or you can block around that number. for example, if a dime registers at +64 on the VDI scale, you can block out number +62 to +64 and it would cover the dime. Do the same for the other clad and you teach your DFX to ignore those items. On the other side, you may be giving up good treasure, and that may include silver or gold, that falls in the ignored "VDI" range.

Unfortunately, the DFX does fall in the $300-$500 range unless you get 'real' lucky, but it may be worth the extra money to invest in if you want to save your back.

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
I needed manual ground balancing option and the ace 250 doesnt have that feature. I ended up purchasing a Bounty Hunter TIME RANGER for $379.99 and it has a 5 year warranty. This unit gets great reviews and seems to be a few steps in between the ace 250 and the Tesero models.

CaptainMorgan

Mar 4, 2007
Western Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Titan 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rumme,
Sorry I have both models the Titan3000xd and Ace250 but unfortunately with our unusual cold weather and combined with my inexperience I'm not in any position to give an accurate comparison between the two models.
I have been having good luck with both models and the Ace's pinpointing has been outstanding and the target ID on the Titan has been dead on, so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread