What's new

Help Dating Hoe Head Please

Subterranean

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
3,966
Reaction score
8,893
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this one during a hunt at a long-gone corral and barn area. It is thick iron, very sturdy, and had a tapered handle at one time. Thanks for helping me narrow down its dates of use! Happy Hunting. Subterranean
 
Hoe.webpHere's the Photo.
 
Upvote 0
It's cast, rather than forged, so I think that puts it post 1851 or so (Besemer Process) when cast steel became practical. Older & it would have been a forged tool. That one's seen some use and is nubbed right down. Could have been made past 1900 as well.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Charlie P., I think this is what is referred to as a "Grub Hoe." Probably late 1800's I presume.
 
Upvote 0
Normally all you need is money and a nice car to date hoes. :)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom