What's new

Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

Reverend B*IKE*

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2009
Messages
389
Reaction score
46
Golden Thread
0
Location
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

I found this on an estate ground, where they usually have tents set up for the receptions and parties.
I am thinking it may have to do with a wine decanter or coffee machine?
its 5/8 high and 5/8 In. Dia. It has an attached copper/bronze ring around its belly.
A worn 925 silver inside with MEXICO and TM 13 (13 could be a B but unlikely)(third digit looks like a worn 6 not a 1)

thanks for any help.
 

Attachments

  • Ring 2 trimsm.webp
    Ring 2 trimsm.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 423
  • Ring 3 trimsm.webp
    Ring 3 trimsm.webp
    7.4 KB · Views: 409
  • Ring 4 trimsm.webp
    Ring 4 trimsm.webp
    11.2 KB · Views: 409
Re: Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

Interesting piece. My first thought is that it is part of a musical instrument like a sax or a clarinet.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

Napkin ring!
Hard to place the actual year, it could be current to early 1900's.
I wish I knew what the outer ring was made out of.
The TM 13 (?) Mexico 925 (silver/sterling) is popular for napkin rings and silverware dining pieces.
That looks like an 8 instead of a 1 or maybe a B (?)
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

ShootTheMoon said:
Napkin ring!
Hard to place the actual year, it could be current to early 1900's.
I wish I knew what the outer ring was made out of.
The TM 13 (?) Mexico 925 (silver/sterling) is popular for napkin rings and silverware dining pieces.
That looks like an 8 instead of a 1 or maybe a B (?)

I agree. Looks exactly like the napkin rings that were used at a reception I attended last week! As for the date, I'd venture something relatively recent, due to the look of the stamping/inscription on the inside - it looks machined. Not positive about that though. Pretty sure the bronze/copper ring on the outside would make the piece look pretty spiffy if it was shined up.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

Looks tapered at one end and too small to be a napkin ring. :icon_scratch: TM could possibly stand for Taxco Mexico where lots of antique silver items have been made.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

Napkin ring makes sense... but a 5/8 inch napkin ring seems awfully small. Aren't they usually at least twice that diameter?

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

DCMatt said:
Napkin ring makes sense... but a 5/8 inch napkin ring seems awfully small. Aren't they usually at least twice that diameter?

DCMatt

If that's a Walking Liberty Half Dollar, then the diameter would be 30mm roughly.
It's not 5/8 in diameter that I can tell, but they do make them 24mm wide. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

ShootTheMoon said:
DCMatt said:
Napkin ring makes sense... but a 5/8 inch napkin ring seems awfully small. Aren't they usually at least twice that diameter?

DCMatt

If that's a Walking Liberty Half Dollar, then the diameter would be more than 5/8.
I can't tell of the coinage.
It's not 5/8 in diameter that I can tell, it certainly looks larger than that.

There are TM = Taxco Mexico napkin rings with a 24mm diameter
Being it was a wedding/reception area, I would deduce the napkin ring theory.

Edited what I said. :D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

ShootTheMoon said:
DCMatt said:
Napkin ring makes sense... but a 5/8 inch napkin ring seems awfully small. Aren't they usually at least twice that diameter?

DCMatt

If that's a Walking Liberty Half Dollar, then the diameter would be 30mm roughly.
It's not 5/8 in diameter that I can tell, but they do make them 24mm wide. ;D

I believe you are correct on the coin. Good eye!

Based on that, I'll buy the napkin ring ID.

Nicely done!

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

Thanks...too bad I can't find a reference picture.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

ShootTheMoon said:
I wish I knew what the outer ring was made out of.
IF you re-read I mentioned it.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

DCMatt said:
ShootTheMoon said:
DCMatt said:
Napkin ring makes sense... but a 5/8 inch napkin ring seems awfully small. Aren't they usually at least twice that diameter?DCMatt
If that's a Walking Liberty Half Dollar, then the diameter would be 30mm roughly. It's not 5/8 in diameter that I can tell, but they do make them 24mm wide. ;D
I believe you are correct on the coin. Good eye! Based on that, I'll buy the napkin ring ID.
Nicely done! DCMatt
DCM. you were right the first time. WAY TOO SMALL for a napkin ring!
and STM. IT IS 5/8 I.D. Why are Folks so quick to correct on a hunch? Perception is Deceptive! Hope you can read a caliper STM??
PS K.T. ITs not tapered!
Instrument theory is keen! I have found a tuba mouthpiece that dates back a few.
 

Attachments

  • ring handsml.webp
    ring handsml.webp
    10.4 KB · Views: 332
  • ring calipersml.webp
    ring calipersml.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 340
Upvote 0
Re: Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

Now that we can see it to scale, maybe someone else will be willing to tell you what they think.
Also, sorry I missed the metal of the outer ring, but I have several napkin rings at 24mm.
You do the math.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

Seeing it on your hand makes me think it is actually a ladies fashion ring. I found another jewelry item on line with the "Mexico 925 TM-13b" marking on it (a cross pendant).

Here is a ladies ring with a similar width to the item you found:

Lois-Hill-Fleur-de-Lis-Ring_18471_front_large_1.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help: Found on Wedding/&Party Grounds

I am going to clean up the inner ring and post a picture. I do have another idea of what it may have been used for.
Ya know when a women wears a neckerchief around her neck and either has a boach or slides something thru to hold it. A bit like a boy scout slide? Seems to me that would be more the size for it?
 

Attachments

  • boy scout slide.webp
    boy scout slide.webp
    1.5 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom