What's new

Help ID for a friend who inherited some points

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2013
Messages
2,882
Reaction score
3,005
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently a friend of mine's father passed and he was allowed to pick out what he wanted of what must have been a large collection his Daddy had found over the years in West Iredell County, in the Shiloh Township area of North Carolina. They were all field finds. I'm not sure on the first one, the one in the middle, is it a Yadkin?, and the one on the right is it an Adena? I'm trying to see if my ID skills are getting better :tongue3: They are all about 2" long. Thanks for any input!
Emette projectile points.webp
WP_20160811_008.webpWP_20160811_009.webpWP_20160811_012.webpWP_20160811_013.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would probably call #1 a Palmer. (It is not beveled, is it?) I agree probably Yadkin on the second and have no idea on #3. Very nice points.
 
I would probably call #1 a Palmer. (It is not beveled, is it?) I agree probably Yadkin on the second and have no idea on #3. Very nice points.
Thanks and I'll post a better pic later when he takes some more of them to show actual size.
 
The one on the far left looks serrated and is probably a Palmer, the middle one is a Yadkin, and the right one I'm not sure, but there is no Adena is NC. It's probably a Randolph Point.
 
Nice points! I go along with the others on the first two. The third one I think is a Guilford with a couple dings that make it look like it was notched.
 
I got some closeups today and more of his story. At one time his Grandpa owned 60 acres of this land and some of it is still in his family, his Daddy's sis still lives there and has a huge collection. His Daddy had a box of brokes, wholes and other artifacts but he went through and picked out one for each of his sons and himself. His sister picked out two and they gave the rest to his Daddy's sister. Thanks again guys for your input on the types.

Do you think instead of a Palmer it could be a Kirk Corner Notch? There's one near the bottom right in this link that looks almost identical except for the color.
 
Last edited:
Do you think instead of a Palmer it could be a Kirk Corner Notch? There's one near the bottom right in this link that looks almost identical except for the color.

Nearly the same time period and nearly the same distribution between the Kirk and the Palmer. Who knows, they may all actually be the same.
 
Those are a lot better pictures. From the size of the first Kirk would be a better choice. I don't know what the third would be. I thought it might have had a couple dings but it doesn't. Nice
 
Yes from what I have always heard they are basically the same just the small ones are called Palmers
 
I got some closeups today and more of his story. At one time his Grandpa owned 60 acres of this land and some of it is still in his family, his Daddy's sis still lives there and has a huge collection. His Daddy had a box of brokes, wholes and other artifacts but he went through and picked out one for each of his sons and himself. His sister picked out two and they gave the rest to his Daddy's sister. Thanks again guys for your input on the types.

Do you think instead of a Palmer it could be a Kirk Corner Notch? There's one near the bottom right in this link that looks almost identical except for the color.

I agree that due to the larger size it is probably a corner-notched Kirk, or (more likely) a Pine Tree. I believe that Pine Trees are another name for corner-notched Kirks with heavy serrations. Very nice points!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom