What's new

sucked into looking for points!

thomis

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 21, 2021
Messages
7
Reaction score
27
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding points has always intrigued me but I've only recently had any luck...I found something that resembles a point while working in our garden in north Durham maybe 18 years ago (labeled POINT #1), and I'd like to hear your opinions on it, as I have my doubts.... My bad luck changed in May 2023 and I found a beautiful point in a small feeder creek to the Eno River in Durham, NC when my son and I were fishing (labeled POINT #2). This is my first definite find. It was perfectly intact when I found it and thankfully I took good pics of it because my son was playing with it later and broke several pieces off (he is still alive).
Many great things happened to me since I found the Eno point (coincidence?), to keep my post short I will highlight just one of them; we were able to purchase 11 acres in southern Person County to build a new home, something I never thought I'd be able to do in my lifetime... The 11 acres was part of a long time hunt preserve (10k+ acres) and for many years was just used for hunting. Just a few weeks ago we had about 4/5 of an acre cleared for the home site and small yard. Shortly after the logging equipment was off site I found the quartz point (labeled POINT #3) laying right on top of red clay. Stood out like a beacon. And then, this past Sunday my daughter found her first point (not pictured, I'll have to post it later). And the next day I found the chert point that I think is beautiful (labeled POINT #4). I have no idea how I spotted it in dark gray/ orange clay and pine needles. What, to me, is unique about this point #4 is the "dimple" for lack of better description on the one side and perfectly centered, which tells me there was a reason for it. Would love to hear comments on all of these points. We are fascinated by them and want to learn more.
fetch

fetch

Click image for larger versionName:    IMG_1528.jpgViews:    0Size:    124.4 KBID:    783174

Click image for larger versionName:    IMG_5874_.jpgViews:    0Size:    46.8 KBID:    783175

Click image for larger versionName:    IMG_5877_.jpgViews:    0Size:    53.7 KBID:    783176

Click image for larger versionName:    dads 2 person points.jpgViews:    0Size:    271.9 KBID:    783177

Click image for larger versionName:    4.jpgViews:    0Size:    179.2 KBID:    783178

Click image for larger versionName:    whats it.jpgViews:    0Size:    290.1 KBID:    783179
 
Upvote 0
I don't know much about points, but those certainly look like the real deal to me...
respect-062.gif
 
Finding points has always intrigued me but I've only recently had any luck...I found something that resembles a point while working in our garden in north Durham maybe 18 years ago (labeled POINT #1), and I'd like to hear your opinions on it, as I have my doubts.... My bad luck changed in May 2023 and I found a beautiful point in a small feeder creek to the Eno River in Durham, NC when my son and I were fishing (labeled POINT #2). This is my first definite find. It was perfectly intact when I found it and thankfully I took good pics of it because my son was playing with it later and broke several pieces off (he is still alive).
Many great things happened to me since I found the Eno point (coincidence?), to keep my post short I will highlight just one of them; we were able to purchase 11 acres in southern Person County to build a new home, something I never thought I'd be able to do in my lifetime... The 11 acres was part of a long time hunt preserve (10k+ acres) and for many years was just used for hunting. Just a few weeks ago we had about 4/5 of an acre cleared for the home site and small yard. Shortly after the logging equipment was off site I found the quartz point (labeled POINT #3) laying right on top of red clay. Stood out like a beacon. And then, this past Sunday my daughter found her first point (not pictured, I'll have to post it later). And the next day I found the chert point that I think is beautiful (labeled POINT #4). I have no idea how I spotted it in dark gray/ orange clay and pine needles. What, to me, is unique about this point #4 is the "dimple" for lack of better description on the one side and perfectly centered, which tells me there was a reason for it. Would love to hear comments on all of these points. We are fascinated by them and want to learn more.
fetch

fetch

Click image for larger versionName:    IMG_1528.jpgViews:    0Size:    124.4 KBID:    783174

Click image for larger versionName:    IMG_5874_.jpgViews:    0Size:    46.8 KBID:    783175

Click image for larger versionName:    IMG_5877_.jpgViews:    0Size:    53.7 KBID:    783176

Click image for larger versionName:    dads 2 person points.jpgViews:    0Size:    271.9 KBID:    783177

Click image for larger versionName:    4.jpgViews:    0Size:    179.2 KBID:    783178

Click image for larger versionName:    whats it.jpgViews:    0Size:    290.1 KBID:    783179
Some good finds
 
Thanks so much for all the replies! I guess point #1 pics didn't load? I can't be sure it is legit, can't see knapp markings. Freak of nature?
IMG_1530.webp


IMG_1529.webp
 
Some nice points there (2-4), congrats!
#1 is just a natural piece of quartz.
I agree with 'Older the better' on the dimple. Looks like it was in fire and that little bit popped off, not uncommon, I have dozens of points with those 'dimples'.
 
Nice finds for sure. On the opposite side of the dimple point there is a nice thinning strike similar to a flute. Point #1 looks good, just beat up and used. Those types of quartz points are usually on the rough side anyway.
 
found today, a scraper? timer period guess? Person County, NC (central NC)
IMG_1639.webp


IMG_1637.webp

IMG_1640.webp
 
That’s an early stage preform that failed. Broke in half before the knapper got very far. The material is very poor quality. Very grainy. What state did you find it in?
 
That’s an early stage preform that failed. Broke in half before the knapper got very far. The material is very poor quality. Very grainy. What state did you find it in?
Central NC. Interesting. How do you explain the index finger groove?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom