What's new

Help identify

Sorry can't held on id'ing it but that's a cool point for sure... Like a mini Clovis
 
Some type of small Lance type, but I don't think it's Paleo. The flaking is wrong and there is no grinding on it since it looks very sharp up by the base.
 
Possible simpson
 
Can't help with ID but it's way cool !
 
More than likely a Woodland period point. Like Grim said, it just doesn't have Paleo characteristics aside from the general outline. Still a nice find in a good color though.
 
Last edited:
Some type of small Lance type, but I don't think it's Paleo. The flaking is wrong and there is no grinding on it since it looks very sharp up by the base.

I noticed that, but wasn't sure if they didn't grind the smaller points for convenience. Thanks for the clarification!
 
I noticed that, but wasn't sure if they didn't grind the smaller points for convenience. Thanks for the clarification!


You are welcome. Like sandchip said, it is most likely a Woodland type and probably a small Blade.
 
You are welcome. Like sandchip said, it is most likely a Woodland type and probably a small Blade.

I hope it is Woodland. It will be the first Woodland artifact found at this site, which means the site was used for thousands of years. We've probably pulled 40-50 different tools from this location and mostly Kirk points. It's a clay pit about 40-50 yards wide, and every time it rains more things start showing up. We're looking for a nutting stone or something along those lines to try and establish a camp site.
 
I agree with mr. sand and mr. reaper. That looks like woodland flaking etc. Woodland artifacts here in the Deep South fascinate me as I have found woodland period artifacts with the less refined flaking such as this in the same area as well made hernando's and Tallahassee's. Even though water digging finds are mostly out of context. I have noticed that many times I find layers of disposition that are almost period divided.
 
I hope it is Woodland. It will be the first Woodland artifact found at this site, which means the site was used for thousands of years. We've probably pulled 40-50 different tools from this location and mostly Kirk points. It's a clay pit about 40-50 yards wide, and every time it rains more things start showing up. We're looking for a nutting stone or something along those lines to try and establish a camp site.

My Father would be talking your head off right now about nutting stones and cup stones. He thought that you could tell more about how someone lived by what they ate than anything else. Thats why most of his collections at museums always included a stone bowl of some type. From Canada to Central america that was always his most important finds. From listening to him as a kid i think i could write a book lol.
 
My Father would be talking your head off right now about nutting stones and cup stones. He thought that you could tell more about how someone lived by what they ate than anything else. Thats why most of his collections at museums always included a stone bowl of some type. From Canada to Central america that was always his most important finds. From listening to him as a kid i think i could write a book lol.

I'll post some of my Pitted Stone and what I believe they were used for here in a bit.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom