What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Help Identifying Crossed Cannon Badge Age

USNFLYR

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2018
Messages
334
Reaction score
476
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this US Army Artillery Badge the other day. It is stamped BRAXMAR and underneath it is stamped NY. I’ve researched that Braxmar Company made metal badges for firemen, policemen, fraternal organizations and military. Their business started in 1879. In all examples I’ve seen, "Braxmar" has an addressed also stamped. So maybe this was an early item released by their company.

Could this badge have had a bar affixed to it that hung it's regimental number that was visible from the front? I read a previous posting from The Cannonball Guy that indicated the clasps are a way to date them. I’m not sure if this was pinned or pushed into cloth. I assume if worn in a uniform, it would’ve been a collar device. Also, could this have been a nice lapel pin, meant to be a civilian accessory maybe worn on a lapel at reunions, etc?

Can anyone take a stab at the date?
IMG_8304.webp
IMG_8311.webp
IMG_8285.webp
IMG_8279.webp
 
Whatever it is, I like it! I'll double back later and see what answers that you get. Good luck.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, it is an ordinance emblem, but where is was attached remain to be determined.
 
Upvote 0
Found this US Army Artillery Badge the other day. It is stamped BRAXMAR and underneath it is stamped NY. I’ve researched that Braxmar Company made metal badges for firemen, policemen, fraternal organizations and military. Their business started in 1879. In all examples I’ve seen, "Braxmar" has an addressed also stamped. So maybe this was an early item released by their company.

Could this badge have had a bar affixed to it that hung it's regimental number that was visible from the front? I read a previous posting from The Cannonball Guy that indicated the clasps are a way to date them. I’m not sure if this was pinned or pushed into cloth. I assume if worn in a uniform, it would’ve been a collar device. Also, could this have been a nice lapel pin, meant to be a civilian accessory maybe worn on a lapel at reunions, etc?

Can anyone take a stab at the date?View attachment 2264626View attachment 2264627View attachment 2264628View attachment 2264629
Based on its size, crossed-cannon design, and horizontal pin back, I believe this is most likely an early U.S. artillery collar or lapel insignia. The older pin construction suggests an early-20th-century date, possibly around the World War I era or shortly afterward.

The material visible around the pin appears to be solder, probably used to attach or repair the fastening mechanism. I do not see clear evidence that a separate regimental-number bar was originally attached. The Braxmar, N.Y. mark identifies the manufacturer, but since Braxmar also made badges for civilian organizations, I would not consider the military identification or exact date completely certain. Very interesting find!
 
Upvote 0
It is a great find for sure.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom