What's new

Help identifying relic please

rcaskey2

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jul 11, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
I dug this at the homesite of a civil war vet in NC. He built the home after he came back from war where he lost his leg in battle. It is about 1 5/8" wide and 2" tall appears to be brass. Any help identifying it or of its possible value would be appreciated. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • image-3593829307.webp
    image-3593829307.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 181
  • image-3681200349.webp
    image-3681200349.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 191
Looks like an early badge for the Fishburne Military School in Virginia

fms-logo.webp
 
I've got no idea about the Spaniard but I think it is the symbol of the State of Virginia.
 
The thing says Virginia right on it, so I would guess it is Virginia related. I, too, suspect it is Fishburne Military School from Waynesboro Virginia.
 
ok..i'll play...what is a Spaniard doing on a military academy hat badge...in Virginia?

Not a Spaniard, but a Roman. The two figures actually act out the meaning of the state motto. The female image represents the Roman figure, Virtus, which is a figure of peace. The male figure represents Tyranny, who lies at the foot of Virtus. Virtus is shown holding a long spear, and the whole impression is that of a battle that has already been won. It is symbolic of the victory over Great Britain and tyranny. Hence the state motto, "Thus Always to Tyrants".
 
Aww, we weren't that bad were we? :angel3:
 
Outstanding find...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom