✅ SOLVED Help me ID rock with red and yellow bands. Found in CT.

thebear

May 15, 2024

Attachments

• IMG_2057.jpeg
    IMG_2057.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1939.jpeg
    IMG_1939.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2068.jpg
    IMG_2068.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 23

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi thebear
Welcome to the "Show"!

I wonder if this might be a "Geodes"?

They have been found in Connecticut.

"Geologist here! There are several spots I know of that show the effects of hydrothermal metamorphosis in the rocks. You might find geodes or crystal points in an area like that. If you tool around Durham and northern Guilford and look in some of the outcrops you may find some interesting pieces. The town parks would be a good place to hike to go looking, and roadside outcrops (that you can safely stop the car by) are good bets. Cobalt and Middletown have a lot of hydrothermal rocks as well. Old Mine Park in Trumbull is known for good mineral specimens. Another good bet is the Yale Nature Preserve in New Haven - go up Fountain St like youre going to Woodbridge, and then before the Rt 15 overpass and across from Seneca Rd (right, last New Haven street before Woodbridge) you'll see a fence (left) and a trail going in to the woods. Lots of massive (not in visible crystal form) quartz and some points if youre lucky in there. The only actual geode I've ever found in CT was in Naugatuck State Forest - it was very eroded though and I almost didn't even recognize it as a geode. You might get lucky and find a nice one, though!"

Geode 2.jpg
Geodes 3.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

thebear

May 15, 2024
Hi thebear
Welcome to the "Show"!

I wonder if this might be a "Geodes"?

They have been found in Connecticut.

"Geologist here! There are several spots I know of that show the effects of hydrothermal metamorphosis in the rocks. You might find geodes or crystal points in an area like that. If you tool around Durham and northern Guilford and look in some of the outcrops you may find some interesting pieces. The town parks would be a good place to hike to go looking, and roadside outcrops (that you can safely stop the car by) are good bets. Cobalt and Middletown have a lot of hydrothermal rocks as well. Old Mine Park in Trumbull is known for good mineral specimens. Another good bet is the Yale Nature Preserve in New Haven - go up Fountain St like youre going to Woodbridge, and then before the Rt 15 overpass and across from Seneca Rd (right, last New Haven street before Woodbridge) you'll see a fence (left) and a trail going in to the woods. Lots of massive (not in visible crystal form) quartz and some points if youre lucky in there. The only actual geode I've ever found in CT was in Naugatuck State Forest - it was very eroded though and I almost didn't even recognize it as a geode. You might get lucky and find a nice one, though!"

View attachment 2149178 View attachment 2149179
This is copy/pasted from reddit.....weird

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread