What's new

Help me out!

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
25
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, this is really a post to get you to a link of mine down in the coin forum. Man there is no action down there. :( I know all you what is it guys and gals have opinions and ideas. Tell me what you think, all opinions appreciated. :thumbsup: Please check it out. :thumbsup:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,264145.0.html
 
Mackaydon said:
If they are not real, I'd still fill up three empty spaces that exist in my albums today.

They were in albums. :D The rest of the coins went bye-bye. :-\
 
Upvote 0
I don't know much about coins, but the buff on the nickel looks like the leg has been removed and you, or at least I think I see part of the foot. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
I don't know much about coins, but the buff on the nickel looks like the leg has been removed and you, or at least I think I see part of the foot. Monty

Thank for looking Monty. On the 3-leg buff, the hoof is supposed to remain, just the leg is missing such as on mine.
 
Upvote 0
Awesome coins :hello2: I agree with your statement on your thread that the dealer appeared to be fair and honest :icon_thumright: IMO your coins most likely are real rather than fake :icon_sunny:

Are the coins now in your metal detecting coin albums? :D :wink:
 
Upvote 0
I say the penny is "The Real Deal". What did the dealer say was fake about it? Tony
 
Upvote 0
I did not know about the hoof thing. See, after 5 years on Tnet, I still learn something every day. That's why I hang around. The best treasure hunting site on the net. Monty
 
Upvote 0
On the three-legged buffalo, the stump and hoof remain, but the leg is entirely gone. That portion of the die was completely polished off so when the coins were struck, all of them were missing the right front leg.
Since most of the coins reached circulation, only a few survive in new condition today. Circulated examples, depending upon condition, are worth between $400 and $1000. Perfect uncirculated coins, which are quite rare, can bring as much as $20,000 or more.

NOTE: Counterfeits of this coin have been made by removing the leg from a normal 1937-D nickel. Compare your three leg nickel to a normal 1937-D and look for these differences:

-The rear leg on a genuine "three leg" will appear to have more metal gone than on the normal coin.

-It will have a series of raised dots under the belly that do not appear on the normal coin.

-Lastly look at the "P" in the word Pluribus and the "U" in the word Unum found on the left side of the buffalo. On a genuine "three leg," they will be further away from the buffalo's back than on a normal 1937-D.

Source: http://www.coinsite.com/content/faq/1937d3leg.asp
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Awesome coins :hello2: I agree with your statement on your thread that the dealer appeared to be fair and honest :icon_thumright: IMO your coins most likely are real rather than fake :icon_sunny:

Are the coins now in your metal detecting coin albums? :D :wink:

Nope not in the detecting albums...yet. :D I'd like to seel them if they turn out to be the real deal. I think I have decided to send them all into ANACS. I will update the thread with any results.

Tony in SC said:
I say the penny is "The Real Deal". What did the dealer say was fake about it? Tony

I have always believed that the penny was the "real deal". The dealer said that the mint mark looked wrong. The serifs are supposed to be parallel with each other and not at different angles. :dontknow: From my looking, it looks right. But I understand the dealer not wanting to take a chance on it if he suspicioned it had the chance of being fake.

Monty said:
I did not know about the hoof thing. See, after 5 years on Tnet, I still learn something every day. That's why I hang around. The best treasure hunting site on the net. Monty

I couldn't agree more, Tnet is a great and wonderful source of information and knowledge. I learn many things new each time I get on here.

Mackaydon said:
On the three-legged buffalo, the stump and hoof remain, but the leg is entirely gone. That portion of the die was completely polished off so when the coins were struck, all of them were missing the right front leg.
Since most of the coins reached circulation, only a few survive in new condition today. Circulated examples, depending upon condition, are worth between $400 and $1000. Perfect uncirculated coins, which are quite rare, can bring as much as $20,000 or more.

NOTE: Counterfeits of this coin have been made by removing the leg from a normal 1937-D nickel. Compare your three leg nickel to a normal 1937-D and look for these differences:

-The rear leg on a genuine "three leg" will appear to have more metal gone than on the normal coin.

-It will have a series of raised dots under the belly that do not appear on the normal coin.

-Lastly look at the "P" in the word Pluribus and the "U" in the word Unum found on the left side of the buffalo. On a genuine "three leg," they will be further away from the buffalo's back than on a normal 1937-D.

Source: http://www.coinsite.com/content/faq/1937d3leg.asp

Thanks for the link Mack. I had actually found that same information and I have determined that the Buffalo is FOR SURE the real deal. The U and P are both further away from the buffalos back compared to a standard buffalo where the U and P touch the back. Give me a minute and I will update the thread with comparison pics.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom