Help me pick out a better MD!?

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Hello!

I am looking for advice on a new MD. Probably a used one. I just don't know what to look for exactly. I am new to the hobby, but totally hooked. I am currently using a radio shack discovery2. I have learned it pretty well. I also have learned I am missing targets. I have been ignoring iron signals, but my MD will give an iron signal over gold sometimes. Also, the depth is not good. I want to find old coins but mostly find recent clad because that is what is close enough to the surface to give me a good signal. I usually pass over the broken weak signals. I bet a lot of them are silver coins. I am hunting antebellum period sites, and have lots of historical places I can go. Most of them have never been hunted as far as I know. The main reason I want a new one, and I want to get something respectable, is because I have discovered a ghost town. It is in the woods, and according to the history I have found on it, it was founded in the early 1700s and was destroyed by the British in the American Revolution. I want to hunt it, but I don't want to miss the good stuff. I think it might be a good place to find revolutionary war relics, and nice old coins...maybe pine tree shillings and that sort of thing.

I am thinking that these relics are going to be more than 4 or 5 inches deep, and that is where my current MD seems to drop out. What are you opinions of the Fisher 1266X? I understand it is a no-frills MD that can detect deep.

I don't want a lot of fiddling with knobs, buttons, programs, etc..., and I want tones, not a threshhold to listen to.

I also have been considering a whites MXT and a Garrett ace250.

I'm open to all ideas. I don't have enough knowledge on the subject to know what I need and don't need.

I'm so exited about the ghost town, but it's a bit of a drive from here and I decided I'm not going until I have a machine that will help me make the most of the trip.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

TOWcritter

Hey Cheese. I am new to this hobby and researched for about 3 months on every website I could find as well as all the forums too. I finally decided that like all the other hobbies I have (fishing, kayaking camping,etc...) if I was going to be in it for the long-haul I would get the best equiptment that I could afford. My personal decision was the Whites MXT. It does everything I need it to do. I want to do a little prospecting, coin hunting and beach combing. It does all three things very acceptably. And I didn't need to buy 3 different machines. If anything, TAKE YOUR TIME! making a decision and try as many machines as possible. You may find what you need right away or it may take months. Remember, you have tolbe comfortable using it not someone else. The MXT just happened to be the machine that was right for me. Good Luck!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Cheese, i'd like to recommend the 1266X or the newer version 1270 as I am pro-Fisher but my recomendation is to check out as many machines as possible if you have a selection of dealers in your area. If they stand by their machines, they should make arrangements to take you out and try one out if they don't have a test plot. Soil conditions make a lot of difference how deep you can detect. I know it's not a lot of help but if you get a manual ground balance machine, readjust every so often. This is especially tru if you get a signal in disc. but disappears in pinpoint. HH and good luck

J

Jim Cal

Hey Cheese.? I been in the hobby since about 1970 so I've used just about every type of detector.? Most of the major manufacturers produce high quality detectors today and they all have a loyal following.? I hunt with a Whites DFX but also own a Garrett GTI 1500 and several Tesoros.? Buy the most machine you can afford to buy and you probably won't go wrong.? I just purchased a new Garrett 250 Ace from my local dealer for under $200 bucks and it has lots of features for a detector in this price range.? Whites has a new Prizm V machine that has 8 tones and is very light weight for under 500 dollars.? If you have a local dealer visit and let them demonstrate several different brands and detectors.? There is no one right detector.? A guy with lots of experience and a good detector can out-hunt a novice with a whiz bang full featured machine.? Whatever you get - practice, practice, practice ...even if you can only get out for 30 minutes or an hour, the field experience will help you learn your detector and get the most out of it.? Good luck and enjoy this great hobby!? Jim

F

fishermann

Hey Cheese! If you decide on a Fisher, get hold of Sondra at this address

Detector Electronics Corp.
419 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA 01703
(800) 446-0244
(508) 626-0244
Fax (508) 626-0135

They are the original founders of Depthmaster products too. Uou will get a factory fresh detector from an AUTHORIZED dealer at the BEST price anywhere even Kellyco! Online and personal help if you need it and shipped FAST. If you want to see how much better go to the website at www.metaldetector.com and look at the difference in price between Kellyco and them on ANY detector. I just bought a Coinstrike and it arrived next day UPS with NO hassles.

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Cool, the fishers are what I was hoping would get good reccomendations.? I've put many many hours of research into this, and still haven't made up my mind.? There are 2 machines that I really like, but haven't seen first hand or used.? They are the fisher coinstrike and the fisher CZ7 quicksilver.? I thought I wanted the 1266x or 1270, but from what I gather, they don't have tone ID, right?? Tone Id is something I've gotten used to, and I don't think I'd like a machine without it.? I also have access to some really good spots, but some of them are pretty trashy and also have what we call "iron rocks" which are small stones, like bumpy pebbles, that are reddish brown and are attracted to a magnet.? You can scoop up handfuls at a time in some places.? From the review I've read on the 1266x, I hear that it is troublesome to use in places with a lot of iron because it "likes" iron.? Does that sound right?

I would really like to check with some dealers, but there are none around here to my knowledge.? The only dealer is a insurance salesman who sidelines as a whites dealer, and he doesn't have much selection to choose from in stock.? I like some of the whites stuff, but I'm not sure they have exactly what I want.? The MXT is nice, but also heavy.? I am young, but I have carpal-tunnel in my wrist and swinging a light detector gets it inflamed sometimes.

I have a chance at a Tesoro golden sabre II for a good price, but it doesn't have tone ID, right?
I may also have a shot at a fisher CZ7 for a deal too.

Fishermann,
Thanks for the info.? I don't know if I want to sped as much as the new fishers cost.? If so, I'll check out your source.? Hopefully I can find a decent used one for a savings.? I'm not sure I can swing $800.00 too easily.? I can swing it, but there are more important things that I could use that kind of money on.? I don't want to sound like a cheap skate, but I have to watch my $$.? I guess if the only way I can get the performance I want is to come off of some big bucks, then I may have to wait awhile.? Maybe one day I'll find a big gold cache and $$ won't matter anymore, lol.

Jim Cal,
How does the ace 250 perform?? Can you find coin-like objects over 8" deep?? How does it compare with your other professional MDs?? I've seen good reviews on them, but what are the reviewers comparing it to?? Other $200 detectors?? I'm just afraid that a $200 list price detector isn't going to cut it, and I'll be back out looking for one once again, with $200 less in my pockets.? I know price doesn't mean everything, but I'd really like to see/hear how it compares with other units like the ones I'm considering.? If it is on par with them, or close, then I'd be crazy not to get it.

Thank you all very much for the input, and I'm looking forward to more!

PS: I am also reading the other threads on this same subject. I posted this one because I didn't want to hijack someone elses thread, and because the MD that fits someone else's needs might not fit mine.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Cheese, your'e right in that 1266x has a lot of chatter or at least it did in my area. No it does't have multi-tone either. I switched to 1236x2 for the ability to change freq. and I can run 0 disc. and still null a lot of iron. I know one of the lightest is the Tesoro Silver Umax but haven't read any tests on it. Sorry I couuldn't help you more but I think you'll make a good choice-that's another + for research. HH and good luck.

W

wepc

The MXT is a great treasure detector, I'm pulling out treasure from sites that are well hunted. I would skip the Garrett, I am not impressed with their technology compared to other brands.

C

czman

For my two cents worth..I am a fisher user and stand by them...I use a cz5 and love it for coins, it has tone ID as well as a meter and it goes deep and it loves nickles, but it may not be the one for you where you hunt...get your hands on as many as you can and try them...wish you luck and happy hunting...Don

W

wepc

From experience, I would say Whites, Fisher, and Minelab, you cannot go wrong. Get your detector, know it, and use it often. You can't find anything on the couch.

J

Jim Cal

Cheese,

I'd go with the Fisher over the 250 ACE. Although the Ace has lots of features you don't normally find on a detector in this price range the Fisher will perform better and have more features. Like I said in my previous response go with the most detector you can afford. Good Luck!

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Thank you all very much! I now have a fisher CZ7 on the way! Got a good deal on it and it's pretty much new. Thanks for the help!

R

reds

Hello. I use a minelab explorer xs. the screen id makes it easy for the beginner. you can use the factory setting, till you learn how to tweak for silver or whatever type of metal you are searching for. I also use a goldbug2 for a different type of detecting.good luck...reds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread