Help needed with bird band

garbageman

Mar 20, 2009
Joliet, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Tesoro Tiger Shark
I came across an old Illinois Dept. of Agriculture bird band that I found several years ago. I seem to remember someone on this forum had one that they sent back and in turn they received a certificate stating the type of bird it was from and other info. I could not find the topic but if anyone remembers this or any details, please let me know. Thanks. -Garbageman

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Re: Help needed with bird tag

I'd suggest checking the DNR website, then sending the info on where you found it, if it's a wild bird ring. If it's from a pigeon, check the American racing pigeon or other pigeon site(s) for info.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Let's see a pic! Bird bands are good finds in my opinion.

Is it a goose band, or a pidgeon band?

If it's a pidgeon band, check to see what year it is. I found a '64 last year, and the American Union said they didn't have archived records that old anymore as they were lost in a tornado in 1999.

Good luck with the search!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
G

garbageman

Mar 20, 2009
Joliet, Illinois
Detector(s) used
I'm sorry, I still can't post pictures but I did send an email to the IL Dept. of Agriculture. I'm interested in how old the band is and what kind of bird (or animal) it is from. I will post back when I find out. Thank you all for your interest. -Garbageman

OP
OP
G

garbageman

Mar 20, 2009
Joliet, Illinois
Detector(s) used
I got an email back from the Illinois Dept. of Agriculture regarding the band. It reads as follows.

Mr. Garbageman,
I am sorry to say that we have no way to identify this leg band.
It may have been used as part of a testing program many years ago, or perhaps was used as a method of identification by a local person who raised birds.
It is an interesting find.

Mark J. Ernst, D.V.M.
State Veterinarian / Bureau Chief
Bureau of Animal Health and Welfare
Illinois Department of Agriculture

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Can you tell us the dimensions of the ring and any numeric or alphabetical designations on it?

OP
OP
G

garbageman

Mar 20, 2009
Joliet, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Lowbatts, the band is 2 and 7/8 inches around by 3/8 of an inch wide. It says: ILL DEPT. OF AGRI J 9231. It is made of aluminum and I found it in a grass playground of a school in Brookfield, Il back on Sept. 14, 2003. Thanks for any help you may give. -Garbageman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions