What's new

Help this is one of many things I have found lately

Kris222

Greenie
Joined
Mar 23, 2021
Messages
12
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No clue it says made in Japan in circle in back
 

Attachments

  • 16175038350338666982181660102170.webp
    16175038350338666982181660102170.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
  • 16175038643812773145014343594268.webp
    16175038643812773145014343594268.webp
    936.8 KB · Views: 108
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Kris222! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - Is it wood? How about some dimensions, etc...
 
Upvote 0
Just want to say that I don't think camels are indigenous to Japan. :hello:

Welcome! :)
 
Upvote 0
Sorry I'll update its almost 3 in around made of glass 2 pieces and I also thought coaster but couldn't find any like it I found it about 2-3 ft deep we cut out driveway and cleaning up property we bought. It was in what appeared to be a old burn pile.i have found a ridiculous amount of bottles and jars. I'll post more pics I know what alot of it is or I researched and found it this one I can't find at all
 
Upvote 0
I found it about 2-3 ft deep we cut out driveway and cleaning up property we bought. It was in what appeared to be a old burn pile. I have found a ridiculous amount of bottles and jars.

That deep and with all that glass in it I suspect you found an outhouse/privy hole. People used to throw anything that wouldn't burn down the privy. When it got full, they dug a new hole nearby and moved the outhouse over it. There may be other holes in the area.
 
Upvote 0
I don't know exactly what your item is, but the desert scene was a popular motif for tea sets and other china in the first half of the 20th C.

s-l1600.webp
 
Upvote 0
Tourist mass produced art sold in Egypt or maybe Morocco.
 
Upvote 0
Tourist mass produced art sold in Egypt or maybe Morocco.

It's not likely to be a souvenir from those places if it says "Made in Japan" in English. The camel/palm tree/oasis decoration was much in vogue in America pre- and post-war for tea seats, cake plates, trivets, coasters and such as well as vases and decorative plaques with no functional use. This is generic export-ware to the West and will be from after the McKinley Tariff Act but before WWII (1914-1941) or after post-war occupation of Japan (1949 onwards).
 
Upvote 0
Check the dates and town of manufacturing on those coke bottles. A few years back I drove an hour into New Hampshire to a farm where I bought a box of antique bottles out of a barn for 20 bucks, they were never in the ground. One of the bottles was a DEC 25 1923 "Christmas" Coke bottle, but that's not what made it super rare. The town where the bottle was manufactured was the key as, according to the price guide, there is less than 10 known examples. I had collectors from all over the country bidding on it on Ebay.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you no Christmas bottles but 7 tracy city tn and one toledo Ohio I'm not good on exact dating of them also have one 6 star soda water bottle by coke tracy city tn
 
Upvote 0
You found some cool soda bottles looks like they would clean up easy nice finds
 
Upvote 0
Thank you I've found more lately the amber bottle is 1956 segrams not sure which whisky it contained then all the marbles some cat eyed some pocked with color . So the crazy thing is we find stuff every day on the property we bought. Oh and I find and old listerine glass bottle lamber pharmacological. I'm gonna post another thread of arrow heads and tools we found the other night.
 

Attachments

  • 20210413_012221.webp
    20210413_012221.webp
    595.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20210412_070640.webp
    20210412_070640.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
Upvote 0
Just working from memory, but Google around, the full English phrase "Made in Japan" will date it. I believe early 20th century.
 
Upvote 0
Just working from memory, but Google around, the full English phrase "Made in Japan" will date it. I believe early 20th century.

Welcome to Tnet

No, that phrase doesn't definitively put the piece as early 20th Century.

From March 1891 the McKinley Tariff Act required that all goods imported to the U.S. were marked in English with the country of origin. For Japanese goods, the country of origin was often 'Nippon' (the English equivalent for the name used by the Japanese themselves) rather than 'Japan'. In 1914 the act was amended, requiring the addition of the words "Made In…" (or an equivalent term) plus the country of origin but this was not rigorously enforced until around 1921. Some exporters adopted the required wording before it became mandatory, but that was the exception rather than the rule.

In August 1921 it was ruled that 'Nippon' was no longer an acceptable indication and that only 'Japan' could be used for goods from that country. There were no imports from Japan between 1941-1945, for obvious reasons, and they didn't resume until the late summer of 1947. From then, the required marking was "Occupied Japan" or "Made in Occupied Japan" until 1949, at which time it was decreed that "Occupied Japan", "Made in Occupied Japan", "Made in Japan" or just "Japan" were all acceptable. That continued until 1952 when occupation ended and the requirement switched back to "Japan" or "Made in Japan".
 
Last edited:
Upvote 1

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom