Help with a Buckle ID

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need some help. I found this buckle recently at a homestead. No markings at all. I think its brass. The larger slot is 3 inches, the smaller is 2 inches. Maybe some sort of horse tack or farm equipment buckle? It has a pretty thick hook on it.
Thanks for looking and good hunting!

Buckle 1.jpg Buckle 2.jpg

Upvote 10

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, not sure it is identified correctly, but there is one on etsy and it is called a cast iron stove buckle. If you cannot open the link just search, "etsy cast iron stove buckle".

OP
OP
Cuda74

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, not sure it is identified correctly, but there is one on etsy and it is called a cast iron stove buckle. If you cannot open the link just search, "etsy cast iron stove buckle".

Thanks for the help Traveller, got it open and its the same type.
Regards.

OP
OP
Cuda74

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are welcome. Not sur how it worked on a cast iron stove, unless on a door or something.
Have been trying to find more out about it but no luck so far. Will keep trying. I found a 1959 penny close to it and I know the family that use to live on the property who said they moved into the old house (nothing left) in the early 60's and the house was old then.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need some help. I found this buckle recently at a homestead. No markings at all. I think its brass. The larger slot is 3 inches, the smaller is 2 inches. Maybe some sort of horse tack or farm equipment buckle? It has a pretty thick hook on it.

View attachment 2008244 View attachment 2008245
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To me, the buckle you found looks to have been exposed to heat, possibly a house or barn fire and appears to date from the 1890 - 1920 period.

I also feel the 'Cast Iron Stove Buckle' that traveller777 posted was misidentified by the seller. It's not iron, it's obviously made of brass due to the vertigris that's visible. I also don't think a manufacturer of a cast iron stove would have used a brass buckle on their stove.

The design strikes me as possibly being a unique horse tack or possibly even a belt buckle that somebody wore around their waist. What I also find interesting is the way it's been cast and that the underside is hollow. This say's to me, that it wasn't made for strength but for more of a utilitarian function. :icon_scratch:

I may be way off on my theory here, but this is what I see having dug hundreds of horse tack buckles.

Last edited:

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2008244 View attachment 2008245
interesting and unique find, always enjoy digging the buckles

OP
OP
Cuda74

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, the buckle you found looks to have been exposed to heat, possibly a house or barn fire and appears to date from the 1890 - 1920 period.

I also feel the 'Cast Iron Stove Buckle' that traveller777 posted was misidentified by the seller. It's not iron, it's obviously made of brass due to the vertigris that's visible. I also don't think a manufacturer of a cast iron stove would have used a brass buckle on their stove.

The design strikes me as possibly being a unique horse tack or possibly even a belt buckle that somebody wore around their waist. What I also find interesting is the way it's been cast and that the underside is hollow. This say's to me, that it wasn't made for strength but for more of a utilitarian function. :icon_scratch:

I may be way off on my theory here, but this is what I see having dug hundreds of horse tack buckles.
Thanks for the response. I thought it was brass but wasn't sure. Really appreciate the input.
Regards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread