What's new

Help with a bullet

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2007
Messages
2,917
Reaction score
85
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Lots of the areas around Hilton Head have some beach associated with them. We have several places we routinely dig 3-ringers and do pretty good. Dug about 10 regular 3-ringers the other day and this little guy was on the same stretch of beach. It is a 70 grain .32 Caliber (.31 measured) bullet that is 12mm tall and has a flat base.

Any idea of the firearm this would have been used with? Mold marks are not prominent. It had the normal beach crud and this could have obscured them or they may not have been there. I don't see any crimp marks that would identify it as a real modern bullet. So I'm in the dark on this one.

Guesses? Found one?

Thanks,

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • BeachBullet.webp
    BeachBullet.webp
    73.4 KB · Views: 236
I was thinking a cast bullet for a .31 Colt Baby Dragoon or similar, but I don't believe any such percussion-revolver bullets had three rings. Maybe a .32-20 WCF bullet?

(Note - I used to have a neighbor - still kicking at 102 years old currently - who harvests the occasional whitetail and woodchuck with a Marlin .32-20).
 
Upvote 0
I think Charlie is on the right track. My first thought was handgun bullet as it is so small, but the little 32-20 would be in the ball park. Most of the old handgun bullets of that ilk were .36 caliber cap and ball guns. Then later there is the .32 ACP and the .32 Short and Long Colt and I think S&W may have had a .32 Special even. So, it could be any one of many. Check back around the area and see if you can find the remains of any cases to pin it down. Monty
 
Upvote 0
It is a CW era bullet from a Smith and Wesson Revolver according to McKee
and Mason's CW projectiles.

3 Grooves Dia. .319 Length .478 inch(yours was .471) Weight 65 grains( Yours was 70).

By the way this is an excellent book. One time I checked all my CW bullets
and was amazed that I could ID them that well.

George
 
Upvote 0
Cool! Period!!

Thanks. We can mark this one solved!

Daryl
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom