Help with an old piece of jewelry...?

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this with my AT Pro today at an 1870-1920s Stagecoach stop/ranch headquarters.

It's about the size of a dime and features a snake...

I'm pretty positive that it is brass, but could be gold plated. Reads around 60-62 on VDI.

The back edge appears to be "rolled" just like a civil war button.

Two stones, each one is clear.

I'm thinking hairpin, small brooch, etc... But I'd definitely like to hear from someone who is knowledgable on this kinda thing.
9822cc799ff40b70f804c54523622b00.jpg

d271a04397b74a8993952cf6917fbb52.jpg

c4c495ec5c6af0241081d6b2aa95dbdb.jpg

~Tejaas~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My guess ... Tis a ring ... bubble gum machine.

I'm not thinking that low... This was found at the same exact site that I recovered a 1920s Whiting-Davis "flapper girl" coin purse.

~Tejaas~

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a guess, but it's masculine and is probably a hat, holster or belt decoration. Don't think it was on luggage and too small for a saddle. But who knows.:dontknow:
One thing is that you are right, probably gold plated and fancy in it's day. And that day was a long time ago, because Effie C. Zuni has trademarked the two entwined rattlers(and her name) in her jewelry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the input folks, Im still trying to dig up a photo on the internet that matches.

~Tejaas~

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the exact length and height? Since there is only one point of attachment, it could be a cuff link, a lapel stick pin, a hat pin or the likes. Since it has the snake motif, I would date it during the Roaring 20's. During that period of time, snake jewerly was popular.

Interesting find,
Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread