Help with Buckle ID - square ring with leather and metal hook

messerjdx

Sep 15, 2021
Portland, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone come across something like this before? Found near the Second Bull Run battlefield.

I have scoured images of horse tack from the period (on the assumption it was part of a halter/harness) but cannot find anything that this looks like. Any ideas? I would describe it as a square, single-frame buckle or ring, which connected two leather straps which are secured by rivets, and one metal piece attached by a twisted s-hook.

Note how the ring is square, but the interior rims have unique shapes that I think should indicate its origin/purpose. I'm hoping someone can help find what this is specifically, or even just point me toward references to peruse. So far I've had no luck.

Thanks!
IMG_9409.jpg
IMG_9408.jpg
IMG_9416.JPG

Upvote 3

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone come across something like this before? Found near the Second Bull Run battlefield.

I have scoured images of horse tack from the period (on the assumption it was part of a halter/harness) but cannot find anything that this looks like. Any ideas? I would describe it as a square, single-frame buckle or ring, which connected two leather straps which are secured by rivets, and one metal piece attached by a twisted s-hook.

Note how the ring is square, but the interior rims have unique shapes that I think should indicate its origin/purpose. I'm hoping someone can help find what this is specifically, or even just point me toward references to peruse. So far I've had no luck.

Thanks!
View attachment 1947365
View attachment 1947366
View attachment 1947367
Tuff call on that one . GD

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool looking piece. I’m sure someone on here will have an idea.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks!
View attachment 1947365
View attachment 1947366
View attachment 1947367
There seems to be some symmetry inside the buckle, a very special buckle, for a special purpose - almost like it was hand made, and with the still-attached leather and (rope?),
in those positions, then the final attachment is missing?
.........gad, I can't figure out purpose...! Sorry!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread