Help with button plz

bbheigle0605

Feb 9, 2013
Hello! I found this button last week. I posted in the "what is it forum" and got a revolutionary war answer. I live close to Vicksburg, MS. I found it in Mayersville, MS which is about an hour North of Vicksburg on the Mississippi River. I do know it's a Connecticut State Seal but not sure what era. I researched and found out that a Connecticut troop did fight in the Vicksburg Siege. Wondering it someone could verify? The back is missing. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486184469.775066.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486184481.708433.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486184493.160087.jpg Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just looked at the post you mentioned and you were told it might be Indian Wars (which occurred after the civil war). Revolutionary wars were one piece buttons which yours is not. Yours is a two piece tin back. The tin has rusted out. Tin back buttons were typically (not always) post civil war.

Your button design appears in Albert's button book who displays Civil War and Indian Wars era buttons. Your button does not appear in Tices who displays buttons from 1776 -1865.

As much as you want to connect your find to the civil war because it was found near a civil war battlefield it is not connected. It is not uncommon to find post civil war buttons at civil war sites for many reasons. Soldiers visiting sites to reminisce , hunters, who knows.

As you progress in the hobby you will start to gain the knowledge and experience that many of us have acquired. Be careful of not falling in the trap of convincing yourself of something before asking others. Try to keep an open mind, and you will enjoy all aspects of this hobby.

If you seriously plan on becoming a relic hunter then I recommend 3 books to acquire. I have been a relic digger since 1994 and I still use these books frequently:

"Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons by Alphaeus H. Albert"
"Uniform Buttons of the United States 1776-1865 Warren K. Tice"
"American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates William F. McGuin and Bruce S. Bazelon"

There are many additional books you can get but these are the bread and butter of button research. Good luck with digging.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bbheigle0605

bbheigle0605

Feb 9, 2013
WOW! Thanks! I meant Indian War. My mistake. I saw the rust and I knew it was a possibility it was a tin back. I found it in an area where we found many Civil War artifacts that we can identify from books/online. Needed to be sure before I put it up.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What size is your Button?

I have dug 2 Tin Back type Civil War Buttons , One Last Week a General Service (Seem's a bit smaller than a Cuff), & a Cuff Size or smaller GS Staff Officer type 2 years ago.

The Cannon Ball Guy said of the GSSO it was likely off a Kepi 'if I recall Correctly'.

Both were Dug where I have dug other Civil War Relics.

IMO If your button is a Cuff, Or Kepi Button it "Could" be Civil War area , I don't know if CT had Small Kepi Buttons or Not.
Especially if dug with other 'For Sure' CW Period Relics.

That Said..

We don't or I don't find to many US State Buttons in my area other than NY.
So my research is limited.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread