✅ SOLVED Help with cuff button civil war ?

DIGGING1971GUY

May 20, 2011
Not sure on this one maybe Navy ? what war ? Back is unreadable any help would be great Thanks 001-400.jpg 002-400.jpg

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That particular emblem has been in use on US Marine Corps buttons ever since 1821, continuing even to the present day. I cannot be absolutely certain from looking at your photos, but because your US Marine Corps button APPEARS to have a "low-convex" (low/nearly flat) front, it was manufactured sometime in the 20th-century. The 19th-century ones had a distinctly higher "dome" shape, and the "raised border" around the eagle was less high-raised than on your button.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I appreciate your saying you respect my opinion, because I try very hard to be worthy of the respect I receive from good people like you. But to give you some additional assurance that the ID and dating I gave you is indeed correct, here's an old (2008) discussion here on TreasureNet. Note that the button's face is low-convex, and its rim is high-raised in relation to the rest of the button's face. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ne-button-update-more-likely-post-1902-a.html

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread