What's new

help with flat button

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
4,949
Reaction score
2,326
Golden Thread
0
Location
NorthWest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is the first flat I have ever dug, odd I know because I hunt farm houses and fields all the time, but yet this is my first, can anyone give me any info on it, front has a nice green patina, same size as a penny. I thought I had dug a smooth indian when I first found it
 

Attachments

  • S6303975.webp
    S6303975.webp
    40.2 KB · Views: 255
It was made in England between the 1790's and about 1830. You can tell it's British by the way color is spelled. The British started backmarking their buttons in late 1700's. I believe it was 1797 but can't swear to it. The US didn't start until about 1810 or so. By the 1830's most buttons were 2 piece. It was gold plated. You can tell by the word gilt on the back.
 
thank you very much for the info!
 
You're welcome. Glad I could help.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom