6.2 KB · Views: 285
  • what is it 2.jpg
    what is it 2.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 285
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Looks like a 2 reales cob— or perhaps a copy of same. Here's a 1745 example from the Spanish colonial mint in Potosi, Bolivia.

Attachments

• 2RPa.jpg
    2RPa.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 270
  • 2RPb.jpg
    2RPb.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
goldinmypan said:
Wish I could say it is mine. But the teller where I buy my coin rolls was showing me some of the stuff he got from his dad and along with some 188x pennies (large small and half) he had this piece. Can anyone out there tell me what it might be? Seems to be silver with a whole for a chain.

Its a silver 2 reales the hole is to put a string trouhg it to tie them in the clothing, back in those days they had no pockets.

Best,

Chagy..........

Upvote 0
OP
OP
goldinmypan

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
thanks all. All I can make out of the date is 17xx. The hole and excessive wear block out the other numbers. I think my teller will be happy with that info. Maybe he'll save some of the good halves for me now.

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree; it's a 2-reales.
If you orient the coin to show its 'normal' position, I think I make out the top of the "P" for Potosi, just to the left of the left Pillar of Hercules.
The other side shows a "cross of Jerusalem" enclosed by four arcs. That configuation is called a 'quatrefoil', or 'tressure'. If you wish to orient this side, one of the castles, versus one of the lions, would be in the upper left quadrant.
Was anything else found near the coin to shed more light on the year?
Don.....

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Doc:
The dated 'pillars and waves' 2-reales from Potosi were minted during the period 1652 through 1773. During that 121 years about 20 different assayers made their mark. The longest terms may have been Antonio de Ergueta ("E") 1652-1678; and Diego de Ybarbouru ("Y") 1701-1727.
Don......

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would only be guessing at the assayers name in this coin, through the assayer in PBK's sample coin is Luis de Quintanilla, as designated by the lower case "q" in the (upper right) 'tic-tac-toe'. His terms was between 1744 and 1750, consistant with the coin's date of 1745.
Don......

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Doc:
The first number in the date looks like a "7"; indicating the 1700s. That eliminates five of the assayers (one between 1697 and 1701 had a mark of "F" but I don't believe his name has ever been disclosed).

That leaves mint marks of Y,M, E,P, C, q, q-Y, Y-V, V-Y and J.
I took the image, rotated it into its 'proper' position and enlarged it twice. From there I could only quess what that assayer's mark might be. But even this can get confusing since (for example) the marks of "E" and "C" are used by more than one assayer; so without the date.......you get the picture.
Don...

Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Angelo said:
Chagy:/PBK:

To make a long story short.

NICE JOB!

Tony ;D

Naaa..... PBK was the first one to ID all I said; whats the hole for....and then Don and Doc went at it...to find the mint,assayer and date, but thanks anyway Tony..

Best,

Chagy......

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
Chagy said:
Angelo said:

NICE JOB!

Tony ;D

Chagy:

I was complimenting you due to the information on the hole and the lack of pockets in the early days.

I had already seen coins similar to the one identified, but had no clue about the info you provided. So I learned something new from your input.

Tony

Naaa..... PBK was the first one to ID all I said; whats the hole for....and then Don and Doc went at it...to find the mint,assayer and date, but thanks anyway Tony..

Best,

Chagy......

Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Angelo said:
Chagy said:
Angelo said:

NICE JOB!

Tony ;D

Chagy:

I was complimenting you due to the information on the hole and the lack of pockets in the early days.

I had already seen coins similar to the one identified, but had no clue about the info you provided. So I learned something new from your input.

Tony

Best,

Chagy......

Well then thank you.....Tony

P.S. I do know alot about holes ;D ;D ;D ;D....LOL

Best,

Chagy...... ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread