help with iding bullets

nomatic

Jun 17, 2004
help with id'ing bullets

Hi all, I have been lurking these forums for about six months, and I enjoy reading all the stories. If it weren't for you guys I probably would have given up on metal detecting after a few trys of finding clad or pull tops. So far I have found nothing of monetary value, but you guys keep the fires burning for me!

I recently got permission to hunt a 200 acre farm in Lincoln County Tennessee. It has at least 6 civil war graves on it. I am not sure if they were killed here or just brought home to be burried. I do know that Sherman and his troops came right through here(Lincoln County) and there were also several small skirmishes in this area during the war.
Ok, to the point, I need help id'ing 2 bullets that I have found on this farm. One seems too shiney to be very old but it does have a ring around it. The ring around it seems really sharp, like it was machined, so it's probably recent. The second one looks like some sort of round shot that has been flattened on one side(hit a rock) This second bullet does have a pretty heavy white coating. If anyone can shed some light these two bullets I can quit wondering about them :) I am not sure how to post pictures here but i'll give it a shot.

Attachments

• DSC00627 (Small).JPG
    DSC00627 (Small).JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC00631 (Small).JPG
    DSC00631 (Small).JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC00641 (Small).JPG
    DSC00641 (Small).JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 0

flip

Jan 29, 2005
kansas city/ osceola missouri
Detector(s) used
garret deepseeker , ace 250, DMC11ba
Re: help with id'ing bullets

you are right about the shiny one. looks like a very recent .38 cast bullet. the other one has oxidized qite a bit, has been in the ground several years. hope this helps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread