What's new

Help with Inuit carving

jtw1313

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
3,728
Reaction score
2,099
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help with the signature or information on this one. It is not soapstone it’s a lot harder. The signature is so light I’m having a hard time getting a good pic
 
try putting baby powder on it .
 
Upvote 0
I think it brought it out a little

...........
 
Upvote 0
Can't make out the signature but I really like the carving .
 
Upvote 0
soposil t. onalik is what I see. Probably a good Inuit name. Nice hardstone carving. That looks like an igneous rock to me and they are very hard to carve without diamond tools. Gary
 
Upvote 0
soposil t. onalik is what I see. Probably a good Inuit name. Nice hardstone carving. That looks like an igneous rock to me and they are very hard to carve without diamond tools. Gary

Good eye!

SOROSOLUTO ONALIK (NEE; SOROSILUTUK) Born: December 20, 1943 Female E7-701
Place of Birth: Kimituq Camp
Resides: Iqaluit; also lived in Cape Dorset
Sculpture, Drawings, Prints

Sorosoluto's mother, the late Egevadluq Ragee (1920-1983) was a Cape
Dorset graphic artist. Her husband Tommy Onalik is a carver.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you toddspoint
 
Upvote 0
That’s a really nice piece!
 
Upvote 0
What makes you think it is of Inuit origin? You can do a rubbing with light paper and charcoal over the signature.
 
Upvote 0
What makes you think it is of Inuit origin? You can do a rubbing with light paper and charcoal over the signature. If it is heavy, it is unlikely Inuit, as from the page I reached they used bone, antlers and soap stone to make carvings not heavier rock.
 
Upvote 0
I don’t think im 100 % sure thanks for the comment
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom