What's new

Help with Marine? Uniform and insignia

Kevo_DFX

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2008
Messages
567
Reaction score
135
Golden Thread
0
Location
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
I don't know my uniforms as well as I should. Anyway, this is a wool coat, I believe Marine. From BigCy's awesome list of Great Seal backmarks, I know the buttons, marked "WATERBURY BUTTON CO * CONN. * ", designates it as pre 1965.

I was wondering if this is indeed Marine and what the two insignia and service ribbons I found in the pockets mean.

I purchased this at an auction for a pittance.

Thanks for your help!

uniform.webp
uniform close.webp
insig.webp
 
Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, what made you think it may be a Marine Corps uniform?
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Eddie!

cc - I don't know. This one's a bit before my time. I always associated Brown with the USMC and green with the Army.

Kevo
 
Upvote 0
This era was known as the "Brown Shoe Army". In 1960 they switched to black shoes/black boots and green uniforms, so your uniform dates WW2 and shortly after.
 
Upvote 0
FYI, the discharge patch was known as the "ruptured duck" and is WW 2 era.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
heard of the ruptured duck for the navy. was it used for all services?
 
Upvote 0
I've seen navy versions with blue or white background and a marine version that had a darker brown background than yours. I also saw a green background but don't know who used it.
 
Upvote 0
I believe, but am not 100%, that there was an od green patch for winter uniforms in Army, Marines and USAAF, and a khaki version for their summer uniforms. I may be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure I remember being told that at some point.
 
Upvote 0
Eddie Lomax said:
Lafitte Deux said:
FYI, the discharge patch was known as the "ruptured duck" and is WW 2 era.

Where, oh where have I heard that before. Oh yea, that's what I posted above.

Sorry Eddie. I didn't mean to infer that I'd ID'ed it. Just wanted to throw the interesting nickname out to all. That's what I've always heard the patch called. :)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom