Help with Photo ID?

reapp

Nov 1, 2005
Hello forum members! I know that this is a long-shot, but I am going to throw it out there anyway. I recently obtained a cdv album at a garage sale which was inscribed to a person residing in Worcester, Mass, dated 1866. This cdv was in the mix, and I was hoping that someone might help with the subject's identity. It originates from Boston, and appears to be a gentleman of Turkish or Armenian heritage. The name starts as "Dicran", which I believe is meant to state Dikran (based on other Turkish names found on-line). The following names are undecipherable to my weak eyes. Does anyone recognize this individual, or can anyone read the penmanship? Thanks in advance for your time! David

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 186
  • 011.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 188

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi David, his name is Dicran Serope Cricor Kavalgian...in a minute or two I will have more.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born July 21, 1855, in Turkey. He held a doctorate of some kind, and immigrated to the US. His native town in Asia Minor was Adapazar. He studied theology at Boston University, class of 1877. He became a US citizen in 1887. Should get you started. That was all on Ancestry.com.

Very cool photo, imho.

Last edited:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Dr. Dicran Serope Cricor Kavalgian lectured in the Methodist lecture-room, Thursday evening, June 3d, on the Customs and Religion of his native country—Turkey." - from the Wesleyan College Argus, June 9, 1875. I think that school is/was in Middletown, CT.

OP
OP
R

reapp

Nov 1, 2005
Amazing Creaky! You win the prize! I’ll bet I spent an hour trying to decipher the name. Many thanks, David

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yw, I read old manuscript writing frequently as part of what I do...can be impossible to discern at times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread