What's new

Help with point type

Adena_man

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
883
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nicholasville, Ky
I am hoping that someone might be able to help me with the point type. I found it a couple of years ago in Jessamine County, KY.

Thanks

Brian
 

Attachments

  • Picture 1014.webp
    Picture 1014.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 237
Upvote 0
Hey Adena. I looked it up in a Penna. Type book and it resembles the Late Paleo style called "Hi-Lo".
Named by James E. Fitting.
Named for Hi-Lo Gun Club in Michigan where the type site is located.
Base is generally thinned, or slightly fluted, and concave.
8000-6000 B.C.
I got this from
"Projectile Point Typology For Pennsylvania And The Northeast" by Gary L. Fogelman
Hope this is of some help.
~Z~
 
Looks like the flake scar on the side in the picture is running from the distal end towards the base. Does the flake scar that looks some what like a flute terminate before reaching the base as outlined in yellow?
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    7.5 KB · Views: 241
zeawolf said:
Hey Adena. I looked it up in a Penna. Type book and it resembles the Late Paleo style called "Hi-Lo".
Named by James E. Fitting.
Named for Hi-Lo Gun Club in Michigan where the type site is located.
Base is generally thinned, or slightly fluted, and concave.
8000-6000 B.C.
I got this from
"Projectile Point Typology For Pennsylvania And The Northeast" by Gary L. Fogelman
Hope this is of some help.
~Z~

Hey Zeawolf! Thanks for the help! This one had me stumped.

Good luck!

Brian
 
BobTheBaitFish said:
Looks like the flake scar on the side in the picture is running from the distal end towards the base. Does the flake scar that looks some what like a flute terminate before reaching the base as outlined in yellow?

Hey Bobthebaitfish! Yes it does terminate right at the yellow outline. The base is thinned down pretty good as well.

Thanks for the post!

Brian
 
Adena,
Here is a scan of the page I have on this type.
Respects,
~Z~
 

Attachments

  • Hi-Lo.webp
    Hi-Lo.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 214
zeawolf said:
Adena,
Here is a scan of the page I have on this type.
Respects,
~Z~

Wow! That point traveled a pretty good distance to make it down to central ky! Great information!

Thanks Zeawolf!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom