Help with privy digging.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. I'm completely new to this hobbie. I've dug some old trash piles on my friends land dating to the late 1800's but never a privy. I just got permission to hunt on some old farmland in North Texas. The house on it is from the late 1800's and there are several other barns and concrete slabs. I believed it was lived in until probably the 60's. There is an old cellar that is completely fool of trash and rocks. I've dug this completely out and the bottles only dated to the 50's and 60's at best. There is also a concrete slab with a hole in the middle of it. I've just been told by the owner that is was an outhouse but he's not sure how old. I was wondering if this a privy that is worth digging and how long ago they used cement floors in them? Or maybe it didn't start out with the cement? I have permission to break up the concrete as long as I clean it up. If the house dated back that long ago, I assume that there has to be somewhere that these old bottles were dumped. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning Josh, I would be real leary about the hole in the concrete ,it just might be from the 60s. Look for a depression in the ground out back of the old house & probe it,or dig a test hole in it. Also look in any gulleys,ravines,or arroyo's for a dump site. Try to find a pic of the house,it might show you the outhouse. Good Luck & happy diggin.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too, am pretty new at this whole digging more than a six inch hole in the ground, but check out some of the bottle digging sites, Antique Bottles Forum
is a good one. If you can gain access to any Sanborn Maps of the house, you may find where the privies were located.
And do all that PPC recommended.
Carl

master mason

Apr 26, 2010
in a house
Detector(s) used
tesoro umax II fisher f 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most priveys in the south were 20 to 50 yards away from the structure and where the prevailing wind blew past the structure toward the outhouse so the stink went away from the living quarters. most of the time u will c a slight dip n d ground where everything n d hole settled. probe and do some digging most of the time they have a 1.5 to 3 foot cover. layers of ash rock wood trash 9 broke plates cups shoes ect.) most priveys are say 3x3 some were 9x9 just depends. if it is near a heavly populated area like down town charleston s.c. they would of been on the property line and both families would dig it and use it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread