Help with silver hallmarks from todays finds

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to an estate sale today and picked up a few small things. Nothing too spectacular, a sterling fork with very old ivory handle for $1, couple old medicine bottles including a green glass poison bottle that says "not to be taken" for $1. I picked up two silver pieces that I was not sure about. One looks to be a deep bell shaped lid for something the size of a soup bowl but it is not marked. The second is this item pictured. I wasn't sure of the hallmarks but for $5 I took a chance. Any help with these hallmarks would be great!

Attachments

• P1000990.JPG
    P1000990.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 107
  • P1000987.JPG
    P1000987.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 92

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it looks like it says EP for the middle letters. So I'd assume its plate, but as to the maker, I don't know. Didn't see anything that matched on my sources.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found the exact match, but it is called a cruet station. I'd say it is a nice find, even if it is plated.

OP
OP
nathan104

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tanks for the help! Too bad its not sterling but I like it as well. Im guessing it is nickel silver or something like that as I drilled into the bottom of one of the feet and its a white metal like silver all the way through.

On a side note, the bell shaped lid I bought that wasn't marked tested as sterling and it weighs a little over 7 ounces.

Itsmine

Apr 14, 2012
New Lenox, Il.
Detector(s) used
Garrets Coin Comander 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"EP" stands for electro plate. If its white metal all the way through, it was electro-plated to nickle. If it was pink or red showing through, then it would be copper used as the base metal....Usually nickle based EP is very bright.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread