help with threshold hum, Nokta Legend

I rarely have on my stock 11" coil anymore, even in fairly clean ground.
I alternate between the 6 inch coil and the 9x6 elliptical coil, most of the time I am running the 6 inch round coil, i agree with everything you have stated so far

what a lot of people do not understand when you are running a large coil like the 11 inch stock coil depending on the ground you are detecting on, in my case heavy mineralized ground a large coil is like driving in the fog with your high beams turned on, a large coil will exaggerate the minerals in the ground and in my opinion can in a lot of cases cost you some in ground depth

I alternate between the 6 inch coil and the 9x6 elliptical coil, most of the time I am running the 6 inch round coil, i agree with everything you have stated so far

what a lot of people do not understand when you are running a large coil like the 11 inch stock coil depending on the ground you are detecting on, in my case heavy mineralized ground a large coil is like driving in the fog with your high beams turned on, a large coil will exaggerate the minerals in the ground and in my opinion can in a lot of cases cost you some in ground depth
I've sort of adopted just the opposite sense of reason over the years, this meaning that now my larger coil is seen as the specialty coil instead of the smaller ones because the larger coil is the one that requires the best of conditions in order to be efficient. Rarely do those conditions exist in 90% of my detecting and I get around quite a bit.

I rarely have on my stock 11" coil anymore, even in fairly clean ground.
bigscoop i need you to help me understand something. say im running gold mode(nokta legend from what i read uses 20khz and 40khz) now with lower frequency(4-15khz) its better for high conductive bigger objects(coin size). and higher frequecy(20-40khz, maybe higher but thats what im referring to) is better for lower conductive smaller size(jewelry or whatever is smaller than a coin)objects. what i need to understand is the size of the object part. is running gold(20-40khz) going to miss say that bigger silver quarter or dime or will it still pick it up? know what im saying?

bigscoop i need you to help me understand something. say im running gold mode(nokta legend from what i read uses 20khz and 40khz) now with lower frequency(4-15khz) its better for high conductive bigger objects(coin size). and higher frequecy(20-40khz, maybe higher but thats what im referring to) is better for lower conductive smaller size(jewelry or whatever is smaller than a coin)objects. what i need to understand is the size of the object part. is running gold(20-40khz) going to miss say that bigger silver quarter or dime or will it still pick it up? know what im saying?
First, I run both gold modes simply because I use two different profiles and it saves me from having to change profiles, rather I can just switch modes. Having said that, I don't miss much regardless the mode, even tiny linked gold chains, stud earrings, etc. And no problem with larger objects either. Just how much difference do those various frequencies make? In my opinion, "miniscule."

First, I run both gold modes simply because I use two different profiles and it saves me from having to change profiles, rather I can just switch modes. Having said that, I don't miss much regardless the mode, even tiny linked gold chains, stud earrings, etc. And no problem with larger objects either. Just how much difference do those various frequencies make? In my opinion, "miniscule."
so you are saying, NO running gold mode will still pick up coins i am searching for?

so you are saying, NO running gold mode will still pick up coins i am searching for?
Try this, just for kicks, a real eye opener.

Turn you machine "target volume" all the way off. Now turn your "threshold volume" all the way up.

Now, and relying on just those threshold breaks, see how far from the coil you can still identify those threshold breaks? Let me know what you discovered.

I think you're going to be amazed!

When I was detecting those Florida beaches with the Excal all of the time when I lived down there I'd actually hunt those beaches in this same fashion and you'd be amazed at just how deep some of my gold and silver recoveries were. MONSTER DEEP!

PS: And that's with the 8" coil too.

As I said in an earlier reply My main detection is for gold nuggets so I am running in gold mode pretty much all the time because I feel gold mold mode is the deepest of the four modes on the Legend, I also am running in all metal mode below is just two coins I found a few months ago with the Legend, at around 6 inches deep running in gold mode, A (All Metal), the first two photos are of a presidential $1 memorial coin, the last photo is a Eisenhower $1 coin, I found over 20 coins that day and the two I have posted were the best of all of the coins I dug so yes gold mode will hit coins and other things, I do not feel I miss much running in Gold mode and all metal mode

One key thing I feel when using the threshold is to wear a good pair of headphones, headphones allow you to hear those deep whispers that you would otherwise not be able to hear when just using the on board speaker

Attachments

• memorial coin better fron photo.jpg
    memorial coin better fron photo.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 5
  • memorial coin back.jpg
    memorial coin back.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Eisenhower One Dollar Coin.jpg
    Eisenhower One Dollar Coin.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
As I said in an earlier reply My main detection is for gold nuggets so I am running in gold mode pretty much all the time because I feel gold mold mode is the deepest of the four modes on the Legend, I also am running in all metal mode below is just two coins I found a few months ago with the Legend, at around 6 inches deep running in gold mode, A (All Metal), the first two photos are of a presidential $1 memorial coin, the last photo is a Eisenhower $1 coin, I found over 20 coins that day and the two I have posted were the best of all of the coins I dug so yes gold mode will hit coins and other things, I do not feel I miss much running in Gold mode and all metal mode

One key thing I feel when using the threshold is to wear a good pair of headphones, headphones allow you to hear those deep whispers that you would otherwise not be able to hear when just using the on board speaker
Yep, Gold modes just have more advantages, especially when used in conjunction with AM. I recover "a lot" of old deep coins as well as many other gold and silver items of every shape and size too. Is it as deep as my Excal? No. But it is sufficient for my land hunting needs.

Yep, Gold modes just have more advantages, especially when used in conjunction with AM. I recover "a lot" of old deep coins as well as many other gold and silver items of every shape and size too. Is it as deep as my Excal? No. But it is sufficient for my land hunting needs.

somehow reset all my user setting how cool is that. tell me if this sounds good, i plan on running gold mode, tru threshold with 1-12 59-60 notched out. 6inch coil iron filter probably 2-3 stability say 1 or 2. that should give pretty decent sounds im hoping?

somehow reset all my user setting how cool is that. tell me if this sounds good, i plan on running gold mode, tru threshold with 1-12 59-60 notched out. 6inch coil iron filter probably 2-3 stability say 1 or 2. that should give pretty decent sounds im hoping?
Well, I'm not all that familiar with how the Legend arranges its notch feature ranges and other stability settings, etc., but most certainly not arranged the same as my EQ 800. And remember too, I'm absolutely not interested in any iron so I notch it all out, run my iron bias high for the same reason. If I suspect a masked target then I'll just quickly switch to AM mode and check it out.

Sound? Unless your machine has a true parabolic audio than "sounds" are simply generalized tones that, at best, will only be heard louder or weaker depending on return strength with no other useful target information provided.

Pretty much the same with the Equinox. At a slower recovery speed and with the 6" coil I get really good depth and separation isn't an issue even in really trashy areas simply due to the smaller search field. Not only this, but swing rates don't have to be nearly as slow as many think either.
Good tip here!

Good tip here!
One of the biggest changes that detectorist can make is to stop relating everything to "coil size" and start relating everything to "search field size." Yes, they are relative to each other, but the mindset is different once we start to think of things in terms of search field VS coil size.

Coil size presents us with just a physical size of things, but search field presents us with an entirely different and far more complex perspective.

The threshold in field and park is not useless. If you are discing out items, the threshold will go quiet when the detector is over them. This can be useful determining bottle caps. However, it will not increase over deep non discriminated targets like a regular one would. I don't even think gold mode is a true threshold as there is some filtering going on but it is a lot closer to one.

The threshold in field and park is not useless. If you are discing out items, the threshold will go quiet when the detector is over them. This can be useful determining bottle caps. However, it will not increase over deep non discriminated targets like a regular one would. I don't even think gold mode is a true threshold as there is some filtering going on but it is a lot closer to one.
this is how I look at it, if you want to know what your coil is passing over then why disc out anything you may as well run in all metal mode and hear everything that the coil is passing over, and in all metal mode that threshold in park, field and beach mode is pointless it just become pointless background noise when in all metal mode in those three modes I mentioned

if it works for you more power to you but for me I do not want to listen to pointless background noise when I am in All Metal mode.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back