help..

Billy P

Dec 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a newbie to all this lookin to c wat is my best deal on a Garrett detector for about 500. This will b my first I buy. Or should I spend a lilttle more for a better one. Need any advice I could get. Im from dupage county IL
Pretty excited to get started cause a buddy got me hook, hes been diggin in glenn ellyn and found some old coins wish I new wat they were.. but was just amazed on wat he found in the ground.. thanks

I'm gonna vote used AT PRO in that price point.

I'll second that.
Get yourself a pinpointer too. Worth its weight in coins.

Last edited:
Call Bart at BigBoysHobbies. You will not have to buy a used one.....

I agree with RobRieman. I called Bart when buying my new At Pro and he was great to deal with. At least start there anyway.

Wayne at metal detecting stuff will help you out also. He is also a supporting vender and has awesome service.

Another vote for the AT Pro. You're gunna have to shell out a little less than $600 for new. Great detector!

Can buy used and maybe save some money, maybe not! Buying used can be a crap shoot. There are deals out there for sure, just be careful.

Give Ed a call at Treasure Mountain Metal Detectors. He's a forum sponsor and he'll treat you right.
Treasure Mountain Metal Detectors Specializing All Brands

Give Bart a call and it will be a little over 5.

Once you learn how to use the AT Pro you will be impressed with its ability to find stuff and the AT Pro's versatility.
I'm adding a 5x8" coil for better balance and to have a change from the larger DD coil!
Can't hurt to give Bart a call at bigboyhobbies and see what he can do for you!
Best of luck!

Another vote for the AT Pro. I would also get a Garrett Propointer once you are able to. It will make your target recovery much more enjoyable!

AT Pro all the way. Call Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. He will give you the best price and best service.

The ATP is amazing, once you learn it well enough you will be able to almost tell what you're digging by the tone. I rarely look at my VDi. You have to learn to play with the settings to suit you and learn how to manually ground balance. It's like any detector you must learn it well to get the most out of it. 100 hours of detecting before you start getting the most out of it is no exaggeration for a new person learning how to detect. The 1st 20 -30 hours you may end up wondering why you bought it.
Two more tips. Get the 5x8 coil when you can afford it and the Garrett Pro pointer is a must.

AT Pro all the way. Call Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. He will give you the best price and best service. The ATP is amazing, once you learn it well enough you will be able to almost tell what you're digging by the tone. I rarely look at my VDi. You have to learn to play with the settings to suit you and learn how to manually ground balance. It's like any detector you must learn it well to get the most out of it. 100 hours of detecting before you start getting the most out of it is no exaggeration for a new person learning how to detect. The 1st 20 -30 hours you may end up wondering why you bought it. Two more tips. Get the 5x8 coil when you can afford it and the Garrett Pro pointer is a must.
very good advice and manual ground balancing is the best in my opinion.

Last edited:
Billy ATPro is a good choice for a serious newb but you might have to cough up a little bit more to get it. Whatever you get you are lucky to have a buddy to show you the ropes. Learning tectin is ten times harder than learning a tecter. Think when you first tried to ride a bike without training wheels, or think of learning a second language.

Call Bart. Your real close and shipping is free.

Metal detecting stuff is free shipping too and same price. I wear the shirt they threw in as a bonus too. Every time I order from metal detecting stuff they threw something in for free and gave me great prices. It is a flip of a coin between Bart and Wayne they are both great from all the positives on this forum. I have went with Wayne at metal detecting stuff and I'm happy. Good luck with who every you buy from but I hope it is from one of these two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back