What's new

Hematite artifact! What was it used for?

Oldrvrrat57

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2022
Messages
975
Reaction score
6,340
Golden Thread
1
Location
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1000006085.webp

A friend of mine brought this into church this morning to show me, he is a retired farmer and found it several years ago here in Jersey county illinois. Im thinking maybe used for pecking celts or axes! I've collected for 45 plus years and it's a first for me, any thoughts would be appreciated.
1000006086.webp
1000006082.webp
 
Upvote 0
That´s a lot of use wear on that stone right? And a lot of it in the same direction.
It fits perfectly in my hand as shown and is worn smooth where my fingers are. All the edges have been rubbed smooth except the point that i circled
1000006086.webp
 
It fits perfectly in my hand as shown and is worn smooth where my fingers are. All the edges have been rubbed smooth except the point that i circled View attachment 2217692
Was it found near moving water?

Fitting your hand is just the marvel of the human hand. Hematite is a pretty hard stone, 5- 6 on hardness scale
I think. I cant see it being rubbed that deep by a thumb or finger with very little signs any where else. Maybe piece of something else......just my own opinion. :icon_thumleft:

​

 
Could have been rubbed and used for the pigment for paint.
This is the correct answer in my opinion. Red paint from hematite was super important to the Indians. And mining hematite for paint started in paleo times. Look up the “Powars II site” in WY. It’s the only known Indian hematite mine in the US. Random pieces of hematite used for paint pigment can be found near Wickliffe KY just below the junction of the OH and Miss Rivers.
 
This is the correct answer in my opinion. Red paint from hematite was super important to the Indians. And mining hematite for paint started in paleo times. Look up the “Powars II site” in WY. It’s the only known Indian hematite mine in the US. Random pieces of hematite used for paint pigment can be found near Wickliffe KY just below the junction of the OH and Miss Rivers.
Grasshopper gets one right once in a while lol
 
Was it found near moving water?

Fitting your hand is just the marvel of the human hand. Hematite is a pretty hard stone, 5- 6 on hardness scale
I think. I cant see it being rubbed that deep by a thumb or finger with very little signs any where else. Maybe piece of something else......just my own opinion. :icon_thumleft:

​

No it was found in a farm field in Jersey county Illinois
 
This is the correct answer in my opinion. Red paint from hematite was super important to the Indians. And mining hematite for paint started in paleo times. Look up the “Powars II site” in WY. It’s the only known Indian hematite mine in the US. Random pieces of hematite used for paint pigment can be found near Wickliffe KY just below the junction of the OH and Miss Rivers.
I've recovered 5 Hematite plummets and a few small Hematite celts in Jersey county and only 1 was found near a water source. But they did not have the red color . Thanks ToddsPoint .
 
I've recovered 5 Hematite plummets and a few small Hematite celts in Jersey county and only 1 was found near a water source. But they did not have the red color . Thanks ToddsPoint .
1000006143.webp

This is the type of hematite that I've found ,not showing and red pigment. Thanks you to everyone that's responded!!
 
This is the correct answer in my opinion. Red paint from hematite was super important to the Indians. And mining hematite for paint started in paleo times. Look up the “Powars II site” in WY. It’s the only known Indian hematite mine in the US. Random pieces of hematite used for paint pigment can be found near Wickliffe KY just below the junction of the OH and Miss Rivers.
That’s what I was thinking as well, I’m not 100% sure on my id but I’ve found stones like this one on known sites, and I think the marks are from sawing at it to get a fine dust to mix into a paint
IMG_0304.webp
 
I agree that is was probably used for paint mud/slip on clay pots in that area.
 
Is an artifact
But souvenir shops sell a similar stone called a "worry rock". The idea is , you rub it for some time and it relaxes you, taking away your worries.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom