Heres a 1st for me I never even heard of...charga plate.

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro-10D2 & 6x10dd
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a 1st for me I never even heard of...charga plate.

The weather was just too good to not and try and get a full day of kneeling in the dirt. Wrestled all day Fri and Sat, so Sunday was my day to unwind. My brother and I got a new permission and thought we would give it a try...it was nice! The neighboring field had some animals I was unaware of, down on my knees with my face in the dirt, running my pin-pointer in a hole...I hear some leaves crackling and I look up to see bubba. Hey buddy I say in a soothing calm voice and he just stares. I guess he was just interested in what I was doing...was I hoping the pin-pointer going crazy was like some kind of "charge" signal to this mammoth animal. There was only a tiny little electric fence wire between him and me. But I'm here and all is good. So the first for me was a Farrington Charga Plate, (and of course since it's a 1st, I had to say hello with my digger :), and after some research it was like the 1st credit card. Kinda cool. 2 neat buttons, a Metropolitan RR and Metropolitan Police DC. A good number of bullets and 3 carved bullets. And some other odds and ends. No real old coins yet. The last pic is of all my finds for the day. Enjoy the pics and thanks for looking. Have great day!

12131.jpg 12132.jpg 12133.jpg

12134.jpg 12136.jpg 12137.jpg

12138.jpg 12139.jpg

Upvote 14

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TOKE MAN WHEN I WAS LITTLE A FREIND TIED HIS WAGON TO HIS BIRD DOG AND ASKED US TO GET IN THE WAGON FOR A RIDE , AND A RIDE IT WAS . OUT OF NOWHERE HE POKES THE MALE DOG WITH A STICK AND OLE HELL BROKE LOOSE . DANG DOG TOOK OFF ACROSS THE YARD AND HIS MOM OPENED THE DOOR TO SEE WHAT WAS GOING ON AND THE DOG TOOK WAGON AN ALL STRAIGHT INTO THE HOUSE. MY MOM THOUGHT WE DID IT AND I DIDNT GO BACK TO VISIT FOR A LONG TIME . IN THE MEAN TIME MY ARSE WAS SO SORE THAT I COULDNT EVEN SIT ON PILLOWS CRAZY THINGS WE DO WHEN WE ARE YOUNG . NOW BACK TO YOUR FINDS LIKE THE CANNON AND BUTTONS AND INTERESTING PISTOL HANDLE AND TRIGGER . DIDNT MEAN TO WRITE A STORY .

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice assortment, , the charge plate is uncommon.
I recovered one of the early brass charge cards from The Wanamaker Department Store in Philadelphia. These were pre-plastic charge cards.
No name,, just a number that was assigned to that customer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice set of finds TM. Congrats.

I think that I see a little cannon in the mix... nice.

Thanks CT. Cleaned up the cannon, will post pics...I do not believe it to be real old, hopefully some will chime in.

OP
OP
T

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Looks like you put a "check mark" on it with your digger. I do the same thing... its how I check things off my bucket list. haha That cannon and the lead is awesome.

I always end up in fields with livestock. Mostly horses and cows, but I have one field I hunt with two bulls in it. The homeowner says they're fine and wont charge, so I suppose they are "nice" bulls! ha When we were kids, my friend has a couple bulls and they would always chase us when we were in the fields. ha

Looking forward to what else you find at this site. Nice job.

Yes indeed, I did "check" it :laughing7: I'm glad this guy didn't chase me!

OP
OP
T

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think those carved bullets may be fishing weights?

OP
OP
T

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TOKE MAN WHEN I WAS LITTLE A FREIND TIED HIS WAGON TO HIS BIRD DOG AND ASKED US TO GET IN THE WAGON FOR A RIDE , AND A RIDE IT WAS . OUT OF NOWHERE HE POKES THE MALE DOG WITH A STICK AND OLE HELL BROKE LOOSE . DANG DOG TOOK OFF ACROSS THE YARD AND HIS MOM OPENED THE DOOR TO SEE WHAT WAS GOING ON AND THE DOG TOOK WAGON AN ALL STRAIGHT INTO THE HOUSE. MY MOM THOUGHT WE DID IT AND I DIDNT GO BACK TO VISIT FOR A LONG TIME . IN THE MEAN TIME MY ARSE WAS SO SORE THAT I COULDNT EVEN SIT ON PILLOWS CRAZY THINGS WE DO WHEN WE ARE YOUNG . NOW BACK TO YOUR FINDS LIKE THE CANNON AND BUTTONS AND INTERESTING PISTOL HANDLE AND TRIGGER . DIDNT MEAN TO WRITE A STORY .

Sounds like a fun ride!!! Thanks.

OP
OP
T

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice assortment, , the charge plate is uncommon.
I recovered one of the early brass charge cards from The Wanamaker Department Store in Philadelphia. These were pre-plastic charge cards.
No name,, just a number that was assigned to that customer.

Thanks. That's pretty cool. I never knew about these.

OP
OP
T

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like to see a close up of the cannon after reading the thread here

Here is a few more pics of the cannon. I don't think it's real old though. Looks like almost a .22 shell in the square piece on the bottom. I do not know a lot about these and gonna research a bit more about how they fired. Thanks again!

cannon1.jpg cannon2.jpg

cannon3.jpg cannon4.jpg

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cannon appears to be made of "pot metal" that has been plated. It definitely wasn't made to use a powder or firecracker charge. I think it is a 1950s-1960s toy. The hollow breech could have had a spring loaded plunger to fire cap gun caps set into the rectangular hole. I have seen one that worked in a similar manner but without the carriage I couldn't better ID it. The one that worked like that was on a naval or fort type carriage and I used to have one but do not remember what happened to it. I hope this helps.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt and stories. My dad had a gas station chargaplate when I was little. They put it in a holder with a "slider" over it, and carbon paper receipt. The attendant would record the gallons and dollars, and the plate would "imprint" on the carbon paper when the "slider" was shoved over it. Took a strong hand as I recall! Dad then signed the receipt, and he and attendant each got a copy.

OP
OP
T

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cannon appears to be made of "pot metal" that has been plated. It definitely wasn't made to use a powder or firecracker charge. I think it is a 1950s-1960s toy. The hollow breech could have had a spring loaded plunger to fire cap gun caps set into the rectangular hole. I have seen one that worked in a similar manner but without the carriage I couldn't better ID it. The one that worked like that was on a naval or fort type carriage and I used to have one but do not remember what happened to it. I hope this helps.

Thanks! That's what I figured, didn't look real old after it cleaned up. Maybe I will try to get that cap out of it sometime. Thanks again.

OP
OP
T

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and stories. My dad had a gas station chargaplate when I was little. They put it in a holder with a "slider" over it, and carbon paper receipt. The attendant would record the gallons and dollars, and the plate would "imprint" on the carbon paper when the "slider" was shoved over it. Took a strong hand as I recall! Dad then signed the receipt, and he and attendant each got a copy.

Yep, I remember having to use those machines at a gas station I worked at, but with plastic credit cards. Thanks!

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me tell y'all about them there bulls...

When I was about 10 or so, my brother and I were playing in the crick bed running thru our place.

Was shooting birds and things with our whammo sling shots.

Well, long story short, we accidently-on-purpose hit the bull's hangy-down-things with a marble sized rock.

Spent several hours hidding under a bank overhang...and dad made sure that we spent several days eating while standing up.

OK, now that I am finished cracking up.... I will continue reading

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread