Heres my chance, I think!?!

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
Here's my chance, I think!?!

Just heard this story from my father. When he was 19 or 20 he heard of a man that use to dress like he was dirt poor but every time he walked to town he seemed to have money. I have the name of the road that the man lived on. On terraserver's topo map it shows 3 dwellings on the entire road. It's on a dirt road that has one name and is connected to a paved road via 4 wheel drive trail. I assume that he walked the 4 wheel drive trail to the paved road then to town. When he died they didn't find a single dime on him or his property. My next trip will probably be to the town's tax maps. I want to find out who the man was but I don't want to let on that there might be a cache involved. If I do find a cache I'll be more then happy to split it with the present land owner. I just don't want to get my hopes up or the landowners either. Any idea's how I can go about this? I'm getting the drooling, gut twisting feeling that comes with a good lead and I think this is it. My first cache hunt. Any help? Please. Jason

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Re: Here's my chance, I think!?!

Thanks! You just reminded me of an old man who used to come to my folks Second hand & Antique Shop back in 1965 / 66. He often stopped in to visit with my dad. There was a tavern next door & he always walked into town from about a mile out. I remember now that he always had a wallet stuffed with big bills. In fact, he had the first $500.00 dollar bill I ever saw & he carried several. I would think that he must have had at least 5K on him all the time. I can't remember his name, but I know where his old place is. I'll have to check this out. Gona call my dad when I finish this post. Good luck on your search. Spotz

carajou

Jan 9, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN

Just quietly go to the town or county archives and look through the platt records and newspaper obituaries. The clerks don't even have to have a name; just a month and year that you're searching through, if they ask anything.

After that, it's just a matter of contacting the present land owner to seek permission to search. :)

C

czman

Use common sense and go slow and try and put yourself in that mans shoes...dont give up after the first couple of trys, keep at it and it may pay off big for you...good luck and HH...Don

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona

See if you can find a historic topographic map of the area. It will show the old buildings not there on a new map.

OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny

I did some late night research and found several paragraphs on the guy. I now know that the money must be gone. Let me tell the story in short. The man was a checkers player. He was a tri county champ of sorts. Only one other man could beat him and they played often with each other. The man was known as a colorful liar and a rumor started that he had 2 special sets of checkers. One made with $5 gold coins the other with $10 gold coins. He also claimed he would take his money to his grave. Which also included his "generous military payroll". He purchased a rosewood coffin for his burial and in 1903 was put to rest. The story of his treasure was to much for his family so they dug him back up to check. They discovered that the rosewood coffin he was buried in was switched and also checked (to be sure) that it was indeed the right person in the coffin. It was him and the undertaker quickly made the adjustment in the difference in the cost of the coffin. I feel that if he did take his money to the grave then the undertaker is now the one with his treasure. It might be long gone but who knows. My next shot will be to check up on the undertaker and his property. It was well known in this area that undertakers commonly stole from the dead. Maybe if the cache still exist it will be at the undertakers house or property. I will give more info when I find out more if I feel that this is worthy of pursueing any farther. Even if I don't find any treasure the history I dig up is worth a million bucks to me. Jason

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

Again! thanks for stiring up my memory. I did call my dad & got the old fellows name. Suprise, Suprise, the President of my Classic Car Club now resides in the old place. Have to see what, if anything comes of it. Spotz

OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny

Good luck spotz. Let us know how you do I'm interested in seeing if anything comes out of this thread. Hopefully lots of somethings for you. Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread