Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Here's some info on construction in ones area

Thanks Bob! Great info.

You should also check out your local municipalities on their web sites, looking for capital improvements and which streets are being done at any given time.

THANKS FOR THE INFO!

Lowbatts said:
Thanks Bob! Great info.

You should also check out your local municipalities on their web sites, looking for capital improvements and which streets are being done at any given time.
I do that too.....Tim you ever see this site?

Yep, the only sites I get from it are the rural crossroads expansions, especially those near or at old school or church sites. Remember to check the work against the old atlases. A typical one or two lane road from 100 years ago was half the size of a modern 2 lane road, shoulders and ditches added in. When they expand it to four lanes, they are often almost directly over the original structure site at the edge of the work area. Add in a highway divider and they have effectively destroyed the site. This happened at several points along McLean Blvd between Elgin and South Elgin and also along Randall Road.

Sometimes it's worth a road trip, in the case of Rt. 66 widening or 64 or 72 or some of the other old highways that once held stage stops and roadhouses. But I only hit those sites on weekends when the crews are not there. Especially in the case of IDOT crews, who can be very hostile because it's your money they're getting overpaid with....

On one occasion some city transplant cop to the country told me I could not work the edge of the highway near his farm, you can always tell the transplants, they're the open-space zealots. Open space applies only to them. Anyway I offered to let him carry and dispose of the trash I had gathered and he somewhat *grhumbly relented and bothered me no more.

*grhumbly: ger-um-bly adv
1. grouchy but humbled state of aggressive wimpiness by one who assumed authority over another's benign recreational pursuit and got verbally kicked to the curb.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back