Herkimer Diamond Mine

Bob Z.

Oct 29, 2005
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
MXT, GROUNDHOG ,MAASTERHUNTER 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The place is great. The best thing to do is camp there they even have camper cabins if you do not have a trailer or tent.You need your own gear to sleep in the cabins have fun. Bob

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
There are several "mines" in the area. An internet search will turn them up. Camping is the best way to go but with the weather this time of year you might consider a hotel unless you have an RV.

Mark S.

OP
OP
M

Meadowlands

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2007
Thanks! The wife is not into camping, so we will probably get a room. Any reccommendations? I was looking at a bed and breakfast place but it is kind of pricey and probably booked.

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
You should have a great time ;D
We went there a number of times in my college years, day trips mostly, so I can't help with your question about lodging.
Also did some day trips when the kids were in grade school, but no mater when, finding the herkimer Diamonds is great fun.
What is almost more fun is after you clean them up for display (we used to use Oxalic acid, very dangerous since it can be absorbed through the skin and is toxic, but it worked well on taking away any 'iron' stain on the crystals).
We always had a little piece of black velvet cloth that we would roll out when we were going to show our crystals.
We would open the 35mm film container and spill them out onto the black cloth, DIAMONDS! you could see peoples eyes open WIDE.
It worked best with the smaller ones that were near perfect with both pointed ends intact. We also found some larger ones, but the larger they are the more likely they have 'inclusions' that mar the 'Diamond effect'. My biggest one is about the size of a golf ball, but my most prized ones are clear 3/4 inch long specimens (tip to tip). My daughter, now in her mid 20's mentioned to me a week or so ago, that it might be nice to go back and search again. Sounds good to me. :wink:

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Meadow,

A few years ago, my husband and I spent several days camping at the KOA right across the road from the mine. You can rent a cabin there, too.
We found one perfect stone an hour into mine # 1. then nothing.

We moved to mine #2 and hit one sweeeeeeeeeeeeet pocket!

There's a museum at the jewelry store, you should check out :wink:

Have fun and good luck!
Let us know how you do :thumbsup:

May 10, 2007
Niagara Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I just took to trips to Crystal Grove Diamond mines, great experience, great camping, and of course lots of Herkimer Diamonds. The owners are friendly and helpful.
Thanks
Tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread