What's new

Hi from Austria - I need your help!

thatslog

Tenderfoot
Joined
Sep 18, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Hi everyone,

I'm Roland from Austria. Looking for metal detectorists to beta test ThatsLog – a finds logging app I originally built for myself

About a year ago I started developing my own finds logging software.
Originally, it was never intended to become a public app. I built it purely for my own use, with the data stored locally or on my own system.

The reason was quite simple: I couldn't find an existing solution that matched 100% of what I wanted.

One of my main requirements from the beginning was ownership and control of my data. My find locations, photos and GPS data shouldn't have to be stored on somebody else's server.
ThatsLog therefore allows the data to be stored locally on your own device or in your own Google Drive.

My second requirement was even more important while actually detecting:

Logging a find has to be quick.

I don't want to stand in a field typing information into my phone every time I find something.

So the basic idea behind ThatsLog is deliberately simple:

Find something → quickly take a photo → carry on detecting.

The photo already provides the time and GPS position.

When I get home, I can import the relevant photos into ThatsLog with one click. The location and find time are immediately available.

Everything else can be added later, when the find has been cleaned and identified or whenever I have time.

That workflow is still the basic principle behind ThatsLog today.

ThatsLog can also record the complete GPS track of a detecting session. Afterwards, the track can be edited and processed in a way specifically designed for metal detecting.

Over the last year I kept adding more and more features. Eventually my small personal tool had grown into a fairly comprehensive finds documentation system.

That's when I decided to turn it into an Android app and Windows application, so other detectorists can use it as well.

You can see an overview of the current features here:

https://thatslog.com

I'm now looking for beta testers​

Before I can release the Android version publicly on Google Play, it has to complete Google's closed testing period.

I'm therefore looking for Android users – preferably fellow detectorists – who would be willing to try ThatsLog and remain enrolled in the test for at least 14 days.

What would be particularly valuable to me is real-world feedback from detectorists.

Does the workflow make sense in the field?
Is anything unnecessarily complicated?
Is something important missing?
And does it actually make documenting finds easier?

How to join:
  1. Join the Google Group:
    https://groups.google.com/g/thatslog-android-testers
  2. Then join the Google Play closed test:
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.edvkroiss.thatslog
Select “Become a tester” and install ThatsLog through Google Play.

Testing is of course completely free.

I'd really appreciate anyone willing to give ThatsLog a try on an actual detecting session and let me know what you think.

Screenshots (in German) are attached. App language is German and English for now!

Regards from Austria, Roland
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260918-083902_ThatsLog.webp
    Screenshot_20260918-083902_ThatsLog.webp
    97.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20260916-152814_ThatsLog.webp
    Screenshot_20260916-152814_ThatsLog.webp
    687.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20260916-154250_ThatsLog.webp
    Screenshot_20260916-154250_ThatsLog.webp
    124.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20260916-154348_ThatsLog.webp
    Screenshot_20260916-154348_ThatsLog.webp
    105.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20260916-154423_ThatsLog.webp
    Screenshot_20260916-154423_ThatsLog.webp
    136.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20260916-154452_ThatsLog.webp
    Screenshot_20260916-154452_ThatsLog.webp
    79.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20260916-154521_ThatsLog.webp
    Screenshot_20260916-154521_ThatsLog.webp
    98.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20260916-154559_ThatsLog.webp
    Screenshot_20260916-154559_ThatsLog.webp
    66.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20260916-152642_ThatsLog~2.webp
    Screenshot_20260916-152642_ThatsLog~2.webp
    137.1 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
I’d really appreciate it if someone in the US could give ThatsLog a try and let me know if everything works as expected over there.
 
Important update / new feature:

I've now found a solution that allows you to keep your phone in your pocket for the entire detecting session!

During the session, the app automatically detects when you stop searching. These stops are shown as orange dots on the map.

After the session, you can review these points and mark any relevant ones as finds with a single click. The newly created finds will automatically use the time and GPS position of the selected marker.

suchstopp-fund-markieren.webpIn the app it is in English!

This means the entire detecting route is recorded, and the individual finds can be added afterwards.

For a completely hands-free detecting session, you can start the session before you begin detecting and even stop it later if you forget to end it immediately. The start and end times can be corrected afterwards for every session. GPS points with poor accuracy are also removed automatically.

If you don't want to archive every single find individually, you can also add photos of a group of finds to the session itself. The detected stops then represent the possible find locations.

Of course, all detected stops are visible on the map, and the parameters can be adjusted. The defaults are:

Minimum stop time: 30 sec
Stop radius: 5 m

Fast diggers might have to reduce the minimum stop time to 15 seconds. :)

The raw GPS track data is always preserved. This means you can experiment with the parameters afterwards without ever changing the original recorded track.

There is especially some room for experimentation with the track detection settings.

The thin line shows the raw GPS track with all recorded GPS points.
The thick line shows the detecting route calculated from the selected parameters.

GPS outliers in particular are detected and filtered very effectively.

thatslog_bahnerkennung.webpIn the app it is in English!


Thanks again to everyone who is testing the app every day! Thanks to your help, the app should be ready to submit to Google for public release in just 2–3 days!
 

ThatsLog​

ThatsLog is now officially available on the Google Play Store. 🎉

You can download and install the latest version here:

Download ThatsLog on Google Play

Thank you to everyone who helped test the app and provided feedback!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom