What's new

Hi Ho Silver Away!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2016
Messages
3,689
Reaction score
8,247
Golden Thread
1
Location
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
And yes I found silver, however the heading is for the Lone Ranger Safety Scout Silver Cup pin. I thought it was an awesome find and now to research it.

I also think I jinxed myself yesterday. I posted about hardly finding any pennies here including wheat cents. Well, someone has a way of helping me out in that category. I found 16 wheat, oldest is 1911D, another Canadian king George V 1929, and 6 houses today. Most pennies I have ever got from here. Three Washington's, a merc, rosey and a war nickel were my silver coin finds and then a silver ring.

No idea what that lady piece is supposed to be. Looks old. The whistle has the Boy Scout emblem on it and Be Prepared.

Still no gold. Has to be hiding in the deeper muck. Probably at the end of the slides, if I can only find where they were.















Cleaned up a little:

 
Last edited:
Upvote 42
I hit a few sites on the Web and most say that starting in 1933, Silvercup Bread gave away the
Lone Ranger Safety Scout pin as a promotion.
Nice silver haul. I guess where there is Silver,
There is Wheat, lol
Congratulations
 
Last edited:
Scuba, you may have addressed this question, but, out of couriousity, why are there so many swim buckles in the waters. Did they come off that easy back in the day? Very nice finds by the way.
 
Scuba, you may have addressed this question, but, out of couriousity, why are there so many swim buckles in the waters. Did they come off that easy back in the day? Very nice finds by the way.

This was a HUGE beach and very popular when it was first established in 1909. Before WW2, brass buckles on rubber belts was the way to fasten swim trunks. The men's locker had over 3 thousand lockers that could be used any given day. Same with the woman's. I can only guess that the belts had a tendency to break or the buckles just came loose. Sometimes I just find the swivel piece with the teeth so when that breaks off the buckle also falls off.

I have found them in a lot of lakes. However this beach is absolutely loaded with them.
 
Mystery solved, thanks Scuba!
 
Great finds, congrats!! :occasion14:
 
This was a HUGE beach and very popular when it was first established in 1909. Before WW2, brass buckles on rubber belts was the way to fasten swim trunks. The men's locker had over 3 thousand lockers that could be used any given day. Same with the woman's. I can only guess that the belts had a tendency to break or the buckles just came loose. Sometimes I just find the swivel piece with the teeth so when that breaks off the buckle also falls off.

I have found them in a lot of lakes. However this beach is absolutely loaded with them.

Let's not forget the obvious with that many people - fights!

Also, when playing in the water, you know there's bound to be some amount of horseplay. just what DID happen back then when you pulled your buddy's swim clothes off?? :laughing7:
 
Thank you for sharing another fine hunt. Hope you find out what the lady thing is. Lots of detail when you cleaned it up.
 
More nice finds? That Lone Ranger pin is really cool! Congrats!
 
those brass buckles, hate those things, always sound so sweet
 
those brass buckles, hate those things, always sound so sweet

I guess we have a different perspective. I love them. I know when I find one I am in an old area and I haven't got my coil over it before. I was collecting them so a person that makes art out of metal here could make me a fish using them as scales. I think I have way more than I need now!

I am making this area as void of targets as I can, so when I find them or the big brass tags for locker keys, I slow down and move muck and weeds to get to the silver and gold. These things set my machine off even in a foot or more of muck, which only a silver half does. Then I can move the muck and weeds and find the dimes and quarters and other smaller targets.

Thanks for the comments all. I am all set to make another plunge tomorrow. Maybe a few different spots before I attack that beach again. I really like this beach because of all the silver I am finding. Over 260 coins and over 100 rings and other things. Of course the 37 gold pieces are a good find there also.

Hoping for some more interesting toys also.
 
Last edited:
I guess we have a different perspective. I love them. I know when I find one I am in an old area and I haven't got my coil over it before. I was collecting them so a person that makes art out of metal here could make me a fish using them as scales. I think I have way more than I need now!

I am making this area as void of targets as I can, so when I find them or the big brass tags for locker keys, I slow down and move muck and weeds to get to the silver and gold. These things set my machine off even in a foot or more of muck, which only a silver half does. Then I can move the muck and weeds and find the dimes and quarters and other smaller targets.

Thanks for the comments all. I am all set to make another plunge tomorrow. Maybe a few different spots before I attack that beach again. I really like this beach because of all the silver I am finding. Over 260 coins and over 100 rings and other things. Of course the 37 gold pieces are a good find there also.

Hoping for some more interesting toys also.

yea you know you are somewhere old not overly hunted when you find them for sure! best of luck and stay safe bro!!
 
Those are some nice looking recoveries! Congrats and HH
 
Great finds. Some poor little kid (who would now probably be in his/her 80's at least, was heart broken when they lost their Lone Ranger Scout pin.
HH
dts
 
interesting finds you have there. Looks like you have found a honey hole. Thanks for sharing

strick
 
interesting finds you have there. Looks like you have found a honey hole. Thanks for sharing

strick

If you see some of my other posts, yes I have found a great spot. Over 250 silver coins, over 100 pieces of silver jewelry, 37 pieces of gold and old toys in the last three months. Looks like it was never touched by a diver.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom